NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First astro image... anyone feeling helpful?!

Hi,

On Saturday, March 23, skies were wonderfully clear so I took the opportunity to try some imaging. Not strictly my first time, but first time with half-decent results I don't mind showing. Rather than try to get a specific object, I decided to point scope in an area of the sky that was littered with them in the hope I may pick something up!

After taking 30 light frames (subs?) of 20s @ ISO800, some darks and bias files, dew was fast becoming problematic so I put everything away and processed the raw files in DSS. While I'm pleased that my image appears to show a couple of objects, I have found it next to impossible to be able to stretch out any colour in PS. Each of the single raw files seem to show a hint of colour, yet DSS has totally stripped that information? I have tried the 'create 2 duplicate layers, one set to luminosity, other to soft light' - but nothing (I have used this successfully on a previous test).

Anyway, here is a single shot:

UZshTty.jpg?2

Bigger:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz1vCZYYNMgEY3c1SkZ5MTJBVzg/edit?usp=sharing

And here is the stacked image:

1b5rcUP.jpg?1

Bigger:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz1vCZYYNMgEb1NMZVNtYWtFR1U/edit?usp=sharing

Obviously not the originals as they're huge.

Any pointers, criticism, advice, help or hand-holding would be appreciated.

BTW, my scope and camera were pointed south so if any knowledgeable folk know what those fuzzy patches are on either side of the two stars, please say!

Something is amiss for i see a double image there. Stack it again with the star count at about 40-60. Median alignment. in the luminosity settings line up the RGB colors so they overlap as little as possible and then set the saturation no more than 16 percent. You should be golden.

at 20 seconds you won't get a lot of colour, if there is even on something bright like the Orion Nebula you need to go longer than 20s to get any colour detail
the hint of colour in the raws could just be LP causing some glow

I'm no expert but I'm just starting out with AP and with 20 - 30 sec exposures I'm getting good star clusters but hardly any colour in Nebula's with 30s and stacking 60 subs

First of all, nice image :)  You may want to bump up your ISO to 1000 or 1600.  Try to keep the histogram JUST away from the left edge so you get all the data availible.  

As for DSS, once you stack your images,  there are 3 tabs...the LAST of which has saturation...move it to about 18% or so.  Don't worry about accurate colors so much as SOME color being present.  This should give you something to play with in PS.

Cheers,

Beckemd in CHicago

Something is amiss for i see a double image there. Stack it again with the star count at about 40-60. Median alignment. in the luminosity settings line up the RGB colors so they overlap as little as possible and then set the saturation no more than 16 percent. You should be golden.

Thanks for such a swift reply!

I have been lining up the colours in the RGB levels tab - is that wrong? In the luminance tab, I can only (seemingly) adjust the shape of the curve? I'll give it another go and try what you've suggested. Cheers

I have been lining up the colours in the RGB levels tab - is that wrong?

I made the same mistake, you get grey scale

I move the RGB down and in order but try to overlap just the bottom of the peaks then fine adjust and try to see what looks best

I have been lining up the colours in the RGB levels tab - is that wrong? In the luminance tab, I can only (seemingly) adjust the shape of the curve? I'll give it another go and try what you've suggested. Cheers

Aligning the channels is correct, there is a tick box to make this done automatically.

You don't mention (or I've not read properly) what scope and camera you have used for the image.

20 Seconds will not bring out a great deal, by adding more lights may help some more.

As to what is in the image I've uploaded your image here at Astrometry.net where it lists all the main objects and details about your image.

A very good site that I've started using for information.

Nice image for the first go by the way, it's great when you pull out the detail and it's something you have done yourself.

Well done!

I go to about 20-25% on the saturation after alligning also, you'll see a world of difference! oh yeah and as said on one of the first replies, you need to stack with star detection set for around 50-60 stars.

Chris

You don't mention (or I've not read properly) what scope and camera you have used for the image.

As to what is in the image I've uploaded your image here at Astrometry.net where it lists all the main objects and details about your image.

Nice image for the first go by the way, it's great when you pull out the detail and it's something you have done yourself.

Ah, always forgetting something! I use a SW Explorer 200p on an EQ5 Pro Synscan. Camera is a Nikon D3100.

Thanks for uploading the image, that was amazing to go onto that site and see my picture with labels! So cool!!

And yes, r.e. detail, when it first appeared in the image I thought 'hmmm, that shows up the dirt on the mirror'. Now I know it's not, it's immensly satisfying that my beginner image has points that can be seen AND identified. Brilliant!

And yes, r.e. detail, when it first appeared in the image I thought 'hmmm, that shows up the dirt on the mirror'. Now I know it's not, it's immensly satisfying that my beginner image has points that can be seen AND identified. Brilliant!

I think that's the best thing about when you do your own images and see detail. Most of us know that we will never get to the quality of some people on here and tbh we don't bother too much. Our images may not be the best but they are our own attempts. The main thing is that we learn and improve from any mistakes that we make. How we present the final image, even if the colours or something else is wrong is our own interpretation on how we see the subject and how we like to see it. So there is not right or wrong in how we have a final image but only the authors views.

I came across that website from someone else who had posted an image there. Most of the images I upload get resolved and marked out. The interesting part also on there is if you look at the notes it gives details on what part of the sky you imaged along with the coverage which is very interesting so that you can really compare it to the FOV you get in an EP.

Keep the images coming, we all like to see them however good or bad you may think they are.

Archived