NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great night cloud dodging

Hey guys,

About 19:00 last night I had a look out and thought I should give it a shot and set up as its the first time I've actually seen some stars in the sky for a week or so. Once I was set up there was patchy bits of cloud but inbetween them the sky was beautifully clear!

Had some fantastic views of Jupiter as usual, and was eagely awaiting Mars to rise :) I've been so used to just looking at Jupiter and some of th easier Messier objects that I decided (using Skytools, Stellarium and posts on here) to make a list of NGC objects and other interesting objects to look at.

I must say I was absolutely amazed, it's so easy to get caught up thinking that Messier are the only things worth looking at as a beginner but with a bit of research I found loads of open clusters that were just breath taking through my little Mak. For example i've never got round to looking at the double cluster (NGC869 and 884), it looked amazing through a 26mm eyepiece, and with a little roaming around I never realised how far they stretched.

I tried having a look at the Rosette, couldn't see any nebulosity but I could see the littl cluster in the middle which was great, so much out there to look out just need more research! Im so surprised how much my little Mak can see.

As for Mars it was little bit tricky due to the clouds but in between I could just about focus on it and get some good views, although it was only around 21:30 - 22:00 so it was very low in the sky. With a 26mm and 2x Barlow I could very faintly pick up some shading on one side, just need to be able to stay out later and get some images of it :)

Just thought i'd share my second ever outing with my scope with everyone :p

Thanks

Steve

Sounds like a good evening Steve! Being a beginner too, I have spent the last couple of weeks just getting used to my scope and finding my way around. Pretty much stuck to Jupiter, the Moon and the Orion Constellation and the things within it. M42 and M43 are pretty good....but I am starting to get the itch to roam and see a bit more....but I'm glad aI took my time as I am sure I would have been put off if I had started straight off and got lost in the night sky. Will try your suggestions for NGC869 and 884 when I get the chance....lots of rain and cloud seems to be coming in the next few days.....although it looks drier and clearer late on Friday night, so might get out then - want to try and get some views of Saturn next as well, so might need a very late (early) start on Friday night/Saturday morning.

It is fantastic what you can see through even the simplest of scopes!

The double cluster is definitely worth a look, I can't believe how much is going on in such a small spot in the sky. M35 ( i know its another messier) is worth a look too, another open cluster but again very dense and full of stars. In my area it supposedly going to be really clear on Friday, Saturday ad Sunday so hoping to plan a really long session :)

Yeah, it is quite scary when you start looking on stellarium and all the dots that you can look for! Loads of stuff just around Orion, which is in a good position earlyish from my front garden...think it will take me a long time to work through Turn Left at Orion! I've not even turned left yet......

Thanks for the inspiring report! and yes it was very good last night... only I was too tired to stay up :(

Now I wish I had just had a cup of coffee and stayed up :S

Oh well. The weekend forecast is not looking good...

Looking forward to the next good seeing session.

It's almost Friday! wWohoohoo!

Good report Steve, I am always surprised how much we can see with very modest equipment.

When next you manage to get out have a look at a couple of globular clusters M3 and M53 which are both in a good position at the moment. 

Good luck.

As for Mars it was little bit tricky due to the clouds but in between I could just about focus on it and get some good views, although it was only around 21:30 - 22:00 so it was very low in the sky. With a 26mm and 2x Barlow I could very faintly pick up some shading on one side, just need to be able to stay out later and get some images of it :)

I have had similar frustrations with Mars. Grabbed an hour for a quick session in the park last night before 10pm and it never rose high enough for any detail to be teased out. I've been out later in recent weeks and had a lot more joy with it, but orange disc was the reward for my efforts...

DD

I popped out last night to pick up a pizza and was pretty shocked to see how clear it was so I popped out - three hours later I was chased back inside but some thick, thick cloud but between the two the seeing was ridiculously good. Some of the clearest skies I've ever had. Saw lots of faint objects which I've really struggled within the past including my first few planetary nebulae and supernova remnants. Not bad for an evening I'd written off.

Archived