Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can I record the Sun using APT, Liveview, and solar filter?

peroni

Hey all

It's a lovely day and I'm going out to take some solar shots but...

Last year I used my solar filter connected to my ED80 and took individual exposures and then stacked them following Bizibilder's thread.

Today I was thinking about using the APT liveview recording feature...

Is it safe to do so? Or would I burn out my Canon sensor?

I don't plan to look at the sun directly, only via my computer.

Has anyone tried this out?

There is no reason why you can't use a liveview recording but, as James says, you will get better results using a big (150-200 frame) stack of RAW images.  To process these you may have to use PIPP (freeware) to convert them into TIFF files that Registax can cope with ( that's the way I do it now - I must get around to updating the tutorial!).

There is no reason why you can't use a liveview recording but, as James says, you will get better results using a big (150-200 frame) stack of RAW images.  To process these you may have to use PIPP (freeware) to convert them into TIFF files that Registax can cope with ( that's the way I do it now - I must get around to updating the tutorial!).

I'm not sure I can see the point of the liveview recording.  I can't imagine it would be anywhere close to the quality you'd get from individual raw exposures.

James

Excellent. Thanks for the info chaps. I missed my imaging window today, by the time I got out the sun was behind trees.

I'll use my APT software to grab 200 shots to stack .

Archived