Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

polar scope and using it (help!)

So, I'm outside right now, trying figure out how to use the darned thing.I've attached it to the mount with seemingly no problems. And now when I look through it. I noticed that it isn't centered, and the three screws on the side of it do nothing. Also, am I supposed to move the whole tripod to get polaris in view? Because that seems highly illogical. Urgent help needed here, so any at all would be much appreciated.

This comes under the 'any at all' heading.

Firstly you need to set your Altitude which is rather confusing because it is your local Latitude, with the opposing large silver Latitude bolts and the scale on the left side of the mount (you can use google to find this for your location).

Then point the N on the mount to polaris such that the N is on the side opposite the polar scope EP. A compass helps here.

Make sure that your mount holding bolt is not over tightened.

Then looking through the polarscope use the small black azimuth knobs to center polaris.

Once aligned, tighten all the opposing bolts so that they can't move.

Recheck.

Tighten your central mount holding bolt.

Recheck.

This is a bit rough and ready but is OK for visual observation.

If you can, once aligned mark the positions of the tripod feet on the ground so that you are pretty much set to go next time out.

HTH,

Rich

Archived