NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon crater Gassendi, March 12th

acr_astro

Hi all,

yesterday evening again I could not resist and set up the 10" Dobsonian for a lunar evening walk. This time I sketched Gassendi and the surrounding area.

Telescope: 10" f/5 Martini Truss tube Dobsonian

Eyepiece: Skywatcher Planetary 5mm

Date & Time: March 12th, 2014, 2020-2115 CET

34620.jpg

CS,

Achim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

during the weekend, new material  (charcoal, chalk pen, pastel) arrived and I tried it "copying" my Gassendi sketch from March 12th.

Here's the result (sorry, the picture is a bit blurry. Just did it with the mobile phone camera):

34811.jpg

I will definitely continue using this new technique in the upcoming moon observation "seasons".

Achim

I almost like the blurred effect, kind of makes it appear as if you are looking through some poor seeing. :)

Its funny how you can get used to sketching using some materials and then struggle with others. Just messing about the other night I tried using graphite pencils on white paper and it felt really strange because I'm so used to white on black!

I do prefer white on black though for lunar sketches, I just think the black shadows give it a little more depth but as ever with sketching theres no right or wrong way.

Brilliant stuff.  One of my favorite things to see on this forum is the quality of the hand drawn sketches.  Although I feel calling some of them sketches is almost a discredit to them, as they are much more refined than the word sketch implies.

Lovely keep them coming

James

Archived