Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

13/3/14 White light

JB80

Another race before the clouds set in this morning and I only managed 40 shots all up but things were better this morning and I stacked 20 of the 40 taken. Looks as if it may clear up later but this is a improvement on yesterday so I'm happy.

I still get the bright core but don't think it's as bad today and if I try the other way I feel I lose too much surface detail so I'll stick with this today.

13123839964_a68226e633_b.jpg

13123555665_584d44aa28_b.jpg

Here is the other version.

post-8383-0-52290800-1394707653_thumb.jp

Thanks David, there is a nice little patch of Sun starting to creep into my area which means I can get out a bit earlier which is good as I can theoritically get other things done the rest of the day.

Quick off the mark today sir ....  :laugh:

Very thick fog here first thing , it's slowly burning off so should be out in an hour or so ...  :smiley:

Have a play with the colour balance settings in the camera , going from Auto to either Daylight or even Tungsten can alter the brightness and maybe help with the bright spot , won't hurt if you're shooting in Mono .

It's raining now, sort of, and sort of sunny. The last couple of days I had to get it done earlier and tomorrow is looking similar. The weekend should be fine so if I can get in before we do anything or go anywhere I'll be happy.

Have a play with the colour balance settings in the camera , going from Auto to either Daylight or even Tungsten can alter the brightness and maybe help with the bright spot , won't hurt if you're shooting in Mono .

Not a bad idea, I used to have it set to tungsten for widefield shots(whether that was right or wrong I don't know)  but I forgot I had done a camera reset at one point and didn't change it back so I have just switched it again. Can't hurt to try anyway.

Might try shooting in mono too. :D

Looks good to me, Jarrod, nice :smiley: The Sun is sort of shining here but I think there is still some lingering haze/fog. Not clear enough to tempt me, though I'm sure Mr Ward will find a way to cut through! Speaking of which, the conditions last night were dire when I was trying to image the Moon. It was foggy not long after I got going, but I tried my 7nm H-a filter and was amazed how good the image on the lappy screen was considering! Must see if H-a will do anything for me for white light, I'm sure I read something about Alan Friedman using one for that purpose.

Yeah I have seen a couple of things where the 7nmH-a has come up trumps even on a Ha scope too.

I forget where but maybe see what I can find after I get home, but it was a clear winner.

EDIT: silly me, I've already tried the H-a filter for solar white light! I'd forgotten :grin: :grin:

11666234245_da933840f4_z.jpg

That was not very scientific though, just my own personal little test, no doubt some folks fare better with the H-a!

There doesn't seem much between it in those pics.

It probably varies from setup to setup too so what may work for one won't for another. I guess the astronomic 6nm H-a filter would be about the same but at 300 euros it would want to be astoundingly good. The 12nm is cheaper but I wonder what the difference would be.

You know I was just thinking  yesterday it may be worth an upgrade in focuser and was looking at a couple, I saw a thread that I meant to ask a question in so I'll have to dig it up.

Not sure I would want to spend more than 150EU on it though.

Not looking great here at all, I hope it burns off but I wouldn't count on it.

http://www.sat24.com/en/sp

I'm right in the middle of all that.

trans.png

Archived