Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C-6 "Lens Flares"

Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to amateur astronomy and only recently purchased my first "real" telescope (Celestron C-6). While I'm happy with the overall performance of the optical tube there are some minor annoyances I have with it under certain lighting conditions. Whenever I try to observe a small and bright object (e.g. Saturn) I experience "lense flares" (for a lack of a better word) which originate from the light source itself. These change size and shape when turning the telescope and eventually disappear as soon as the Object is centered. They, however, do not disappear when I use a Celestron focal reducer in conjunction with my telescope. Are these "flares" common or is there something wrong with my telescope/eyepiece/focal reducer? Is there a way to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance

Patrick

My setup: 

Celestron C-6 (new)

Celestron 25 mm eyepiece 

Omegon Ultra Wide 9mm eyepiece

Celestron Corrector/Reducer f/6,3

Hi Patrick and welcome to SGL.

Being fairly new myself I probably can't give very much help.

Just one thought, especially as we have a very bright moon at the moment and to rule out other light sources. If you spin the scope round to a totally different area of the sky, do you still get the same flare from bright stars? I've noticed a couple of times with my reflector during the last couple of nights that when I get somewhere near to the moon I get a massive light source in the scope, which I can only put down to the shear brightness of the moon causing this as it's never happened before.

I'm sure the wise will soon be along to give some better advice.

Archived