Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

March 11, 2014: Another solar lunch session

Given the glorious sunshine I had to hook out the LS35 for lunch, and had a look with various colleagues and students popping by to have a look too. The sun showed quite a bit of activity, even if it lacked the huge proms I spotted through much worse conditions last week. Most activity was initially visible on the western limb, where a short stubby prom, almost shaped like the dorsal fin of a fish stood out due west (nine o'clock position in the LS35). Below it. A string of smaller proms stood out, and south-west, a fairly long prom stood out at an angle of roughly 30 deg from the limb. This prom later all but vanished in the process of about half an hour, while the area at its base grew brighter, developing into two short proms side by side. Higher up a series of fairly faint proms were seen sticking out nearly straight out from the limb.

Due east a complex set of filaments snaked their way towards the limb, and jutted out in a complex, but fairly low set of proms. This structure also seemed to change shape during the half-hour break. On the surface itself, the area around several AR stood out as masses of bright and darks swirls, reminiscent of drawings of Chinese dragons. 

By now there is a group of regulars coming to see the activity, but many new faces pop up every time, timidly asking if they may have a look. It is always nice to hear them gasp when they see the sun in H-alpha for the first time. I do feel there is often a delay, as they first only see the red disk, and only as their eyes settle in do they suddenly spot all the detail.

Nice report, wonder what my boss says if I bring mine to work...

By now there is a group of regulars coming to see the activity, but many new faces pop up every time, timidly asking if they may have a look. It is always nice to hear them gasp when they see the sun in H-alpha for the first time. I do feel there is often a delay, as they first only see the red disk, and only as their eyes settle in do they suddenly spot all the detail.

Exactly my experience of the first 10 min or so, nothing more than a red disk, tried to the focus inward and outwards in some minutes too.

Archived