NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

ChrisLX200

I managed a few hours imaging after struggling with software issues - my Lodestar has stopped working on my laptop and I don't know why. The Lodestar itself is fine because it still works correctly on my little Netbook, but on the laptop all I get is a white screen :(

Anyway, this image is a quick lash-up of the LRGB data (3x15min each channel), darks, bias, and flats were used but no image processing to bring out detail. I was fascinated watching the raw data come in because in the original FITs files I can clearly see mag 17.5 and mag 18.0 galaxies in the background (which seem to have disappeared in the combined image). This was taken with the TV NP127is, Baader LRGB filters (+ LPAS filter in-line). 3 x 15min subs each channel stacked in DSS and slapped together in AstroArt. This is my first colour image with this kit.

M51b_zpsa64ab670.jpg

ChrisH

Really good capture Chris,

little bit of gradient on the right which you could take out but the galaxy is excellent!

Thanks all, yes - I now realise that I used the RED flats for all RGB filters and I should have used separate ones for each colour. I should still be able to generate those for G & B as nothing has moved.

ChrisH

Very nice :)

I tried shooting this last night and with 90 minutes of data i managed nothing.  Deleted the whole lot.

It ws very wet and hazy last night and i ended up with a noisy useless mess that no matter how hard i tried i couldnt manage to pull anything out of it.

Tonight is looking better with a lot lower humidity so going to give it another bash!

Archived