Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG5 Mount

Geuse

Hey, 

I started a thread last week about scopes for imaging and the theme of the responses was mount mount mount.

I think i am going to plump for the Evostar 80ED and i have been looking at the CG 5 mount. Just wondered if anyone out there has this setup and what there thoughts on it are?

Thanks in advance.

I use a WIlliams Optics Megrez 72 on a CG5. I find this great for imaging and the CG5 is more than up to the job. I can achieve 2 - 3 minutes unguided and much much longer guided.  The Megrez 72 has a Focal Length of aound 430mm and with a 0.8x reducer/flattener this comes down to 340mm - the 80ED has FL of 600 and with a 0.85 reducer/ flattener (which I think most people would recommend if you were to use a DSLR) comes down to 510mm. This is a bit longer FL than my set up so more of a challenge, but well within the capabilities of the CG5. I assume you will not be guiding in which case accurate polar alignment and careful balancing will dictate how long your exposures can be. I have no personal experience of the ED80 but I understand it is a great scope for the money. That's my semi-informed tuppence worth. Hope it helps.

Archived