Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last nights viewing

Stephen Green

Had a very clear evening using a Nexstar 6se and LX200 10" it was interesting to see the difference between the two scope's, when we had them on Orion nebula we had a very clear view in both scpoe's

6" was was giveing a very clear view of the nebula but with the 10" we could see the dark lanes, my friend who was with me who is a ex pro astronomer could not beleve how good the 6" was then we went on to Saturn we could see the rings clearly in both scope's but in the 10" you could just make out the cassini as thr rings bent round the plant, Mars was not that clear in both scpoe"s then the clouds came across

Stephen

Stephen sounds like you had a good time, and it's interesting to see the differences in a real world situation between the two different aperture sizes. It's only when someone details in a side by side comparison like this that a noob like me can truly appreciate the difference. Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Hi Stephen, I was wondering if you can help me to decide. This is my problem:

I am a complete novice in astronomy, (well, not just in astronomy). And I want to buy a "good" telescope. I'm interested in doing some photography down the road.

I live in Mexico, and I found that here the scopes are much more expensive than in the US :) the 8SE right now is in $1,199.00 USD (amazon) but here the most cheaper price is around $30'000.00 MXN. As you can see is most double the price than in the states.

So I went to the store, almost I had decided for the Celestron nexstar 8SE, but once there I find a used 10" lx200gps, and its selling price is $40'000.00 mxn.

So, this is my dilemma, which one of the two scopes is better for one novice as me? As expert, and the fact that you owned both scopes, is whorty the extra $10'000.00 MXN for the "2 extra in the case of the lx200? Or will prove to be better investment the 8SE because is cheaper and is brand new?

Thanks for all in advance!

Clear skies! :icon_salut:

P.D. Sorry if my english is not as good as should be!

this is my dilemma, which one of the two scopes is better for one novice as me? As expert, and the fact that you owned both scopes, is whorty the extra $10'000.00 MXN for the "2 extra in the case of the lx200? Or will prove to be better investment the 8SE because is cheaper and is brand new?

Hi Genio, welcome to the forum. You should be aware that this thread was started back in 2008 so prices on equipment now will have changed.

You could certainly do a lot worse than a Celestron 8se, a few members here have one and rate them highly. I did use the 6se myself a few years ago and found it a brilliant go to telescope but my choice in buying it was based on visual observing and not imaging.

Hope that may be of some help

Archived