Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter (First try using registax)

post-31133-0-07452100-1394414218.jpg

It wasn't very clear (I was within a mile of Houston city limits). This is from a 20s video taken on a Meade 4504 on a Nikon D5200. I'm not sure if I'm having trouble focusing (using a very cheap barlow), or if it's an issue with collimation or light polution. Any advice helps!

Thanks!

Not a bad start! Go easy on the Wavelets as they can be quite aggressive and introduce artefacts. I tend to use mostly the bottom three sliders. There's also a correction feature for atmospheric dispersion which is causing the red and blue halo. It's in the right-hand panel. It's silly, but I can't remember what it's called! I thing it says 'RGB Align'

Optics are everything, so save up for a good Barlow. When I use my webcam on Jupiter, I use a Bahtinov mask to focus on one of the moons. The diffraction spikes are a bit smudged but they still do the job. I make sure the image is very bright to do this. I don't know if that's possible with your camera. Do you have live view and zoom functions?

Alexxx

I've just Googled your scope. Is it 114mm/4.5" diameter and F8? I can't see a suitable one from First light Optics, but ask them. You never know. You could also try to make one yourself. At 4.5" diameter the slots might be a bit small and fiddly but I'm sure it'd be possible with a very sharp knife! Here's the B mask generator and a guide:

http://astrojargon.net/MaskGen.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/make-bahtinov-mask.html

I used a WH Smith A3 Sketchbook cover. It's perfect.

Archived