Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed on imaging Jupiter and Saturn

first thing you will need is some software (you can use the canon capture software that comes with the camera

but I use Backyard EOS to make video's using its x5 feature

to get a decent size image and detail a barlow is required, I have captured Jupiter & Saturn with my 600D 

The usual method for planets, Jupiter and Saturn, is to put a webcam in, get the planet focussed, and take a movie of the planet.

Feed this .avi file into Registax, tell it to select the best 10% and let Registax identify, align and stack the good frames.

Jupiter you are limited in time to the duration of the image, it rotates too fast. So unless the exposure is limited features either blur or cannot be aligned.

As Jupiter and Saturn are bright it is also normal to use a barlow (up to a 5x) to achieve a bigger image.

You may manage with a DSLR, but I think you will need a barlow. Either will be bright otherwise and detail lost. Fortunately the 6SE uses the same mount as the 8SE so the extra weight of hanging a DSLR on the end may be OK. Remember that the scope was not really intended for people to stick a damn great DSLR on the end.

Settings if a single shot: try 1600 ISO, 30 second exposure, are you setting the option for the camera to take it's own "darks".

Let the camera cool between shots, the chip will get hot/warm.

May not come out but you have to start somewhere, and that is as good as any.

The first ones do not have to be perfect, there is a key marked Delete for the baddies.

Expect the first 4 or 5 to be deleted, simply getting focus will take trial and error.

The long focal length of the 6SE will not help.

I'm using a Phillips SPC900NC webcam for planetary but have yet to try video with my 600D. Have a look at my thread here. I hope it helps!

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/208610-planetary-imaging-with-dslr-video-mode/

The Phillips webcan is good but only available second-hand now, at silly cost. There are other webcams you can mod but ask on here for the current best.

Alexxx

Archived