Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Calling all SW 2" Refractor Crayford Users

Just purchased a Skywatcher 2" dual speed crayford, the glossy black CNC one.

I've got the hang of adjusting the tension and have given it a dummy run (off the telescope) with DSLR attached, to check for slippage......all ok so far.

Now the thing that is boggling me is that every third rotation of the fine focussing knob it  feels notchy?.

Now before i strip it down into a thousand pieces, should it be like this or is something too tight?.

Thanks

Paul

Just re read this thread and I'm not explaining the symptoms correctly.

What I meant to say is, the fine focussing knob is notchy three times in one rotation, not every third rotation.

I hope this makes more sense now.

Paul

There's small screw connecting the fine focusing knob to coarse focusing knob, can you check if it's properly tightened? The screw is inside the hole on the fine focusing knob.

Thanks for your input everyone.

I have now stripped and removed the dual speed assembley and even stripped down the fine focussing shaft still feels notchy.
In between the notchy points it is dead smooth, I assume the locking ring has been set too tight by Skywatcher as the lock ring is held in place with glue.

I will release the tension when I get a minute which should make the focusing smooth throughout its full rotation.

Paul

Archived