Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Monday 3rd March - only my third observing session this year

BritAngler

Went to the North Lincs Astronomers meeting on Monday night (I still have to formally join, will do that next month) where, since the weather is usually pants, it was planned that we would have a talk about Jupiter. However, as the sun went down, the clouds stayed absent, and many people started setting up their telescopes with much joyous singing and gleeful gurgles so the talk was postponed.

I went inside for a cup of tea.

Cups of tea can end up expensive!

After buying a Baader Solar Filter and three Plossl eyepieces (6mm, 12.5mm and 32mm) and having a couple of cuppas and a chat with some of the other members, I too went out to set up my telescope. This would be my first viewing after a recent collimation so was looking forward to seeing what my attempt had achieved (not perfect, but definitely much better than it was).

My first view was of Jupiter through the 12.5 and all four of the Galilean moons were on display. Previously I could see the two main bands, but this time I was able to see four of them. Perhaps this was because the LP where we were is much better than at home. The 6mm is much better then the one I already owned, and produced a good sharp image across the field.

The second thing I decided to look at was something I'd never bothered to look at through a telescope before (don't ask why), the Orion nebula. Through the 12.5mm it spread way beyond the FOV, and the four main stars of the Trapezium were split nicely (I didn't look for the other two stars!). Spent about 30 minutes looking at this through the 12.5 and 32mm. With the former I could easily see some of the detail in the nebula whilst the latter showed the complete nebula very nicely.

After the 30 minutes of viewing clouds started coming over from the west so it was time to start packing up. If I'd had more time I would have tried some sketching of the Orion nebula, but that will have to wait for another time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived