NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'OK' all-rounder - 8" telescope for imaging and observing (C8-SCT, SW Quattro, 200PDS etc)

I thought I was all set to make my big purchase... I already have a modded 1100D, and was looking forward to doing some DSO imaging with an SW ED80 and HEQ5 Pro....

However - as I've been delayed in my purchase I've had time to think... The weather here in NW England has been pretty poor for the past few months (barely seen any clear sky) - so I'm wondering if by purchasing a dedicated imaging scope I'm limiting the potential use it will get. Not because the ED80 isn't a great quality scope, but because it is small, it probably isn't the most exciting scope for visual astronomy.

I - like most newbies - want a great all round telescope... I realise there isn't actually such a thing, so I'm wondering now if I'd have more fun with an 'OK' all-rounder, rather than a great 'Imaging' refractor...?

I'd like something I can use for regular-ish astrophotography - but because of the weather round here and the viewing obstacles (light, trees, buildings) - I think the photography would probably have to be on a pretty casual basis (a few mins here and there - with longer exposures when conditions were perfect) rather than a nightly obsession...

I'd also like to do some regular visual astronomy - and feel that maybe I would get more 'wow' factor - and there for probably more use, from a much larger scope (ie 8" rather than 80mm).

Sooooo... I'd be very interested to here any opinions from actual owners of 8 inch scopes (eg C8-SCT, SW Quattro f/4, 200P-DS etc) who use them for a bit of everything (imaging and observing.. DSO, moon, planets etc).

I don't think you'll ever find a "one scope suits all".  But a skywatcher Explorer 200PDS would probably come close.  Being f5 it's fast enough for imaging with your camera, but will also give nice visual views.  Using a quality barlow lens and web cam (or possibly your 1100d) you should be able to get good results on Jupiter and other planets.

My C8 on its Vixen GP mount has been with me for over 18 years, so it is doing something right. It is very compact, extremely light, holds collimation extremely well, and with the addition of a 2" visual back allows up to 1.34 deg true FOV. It s also a very nice planetary imaging scope, and I did once or twice dabble in DSO imaging with a focal reducer. The light weight and compact size, mean I can take it on holidays when an 8" Dob is out of the question. Got me images like this in France in 1999:

post-18313-133877694641_thumb.jpg
or these planetary and lunar images;
post-5655-0-56221600-1389526962_thumb.jp
post-5655-0-12989800-1366623282_thumb.pn
Highly recommended scope

I have a 10" Newt and a C11 SCT, the Newt wins on visual viewing much brighter FOV, its much easier to collimate, not so forgiving on EP's, does need a better quality than the SCT, they both need a EQ mount so the HEQ5 with the smaller 8" Newt, or the C8, or going bigger a NEQ6 , money saved on the Newt could go on better quality EP's so your outlay would the same the SCT is more compact and more suited to Obby life, Using for AP the Newt is faster and therefore shorter subs, the SCT has a longer FL and could do with a Focal Reducer using one of theses its still a slower scope and longer Focal length so requires longer subs and would really could do with a guide scope just a bit more expense, for me if i were limited to one scope i would go for the Newt as it is now i will replace the Newt with a Dob and keep the SCT for imagine the Dob for viewing....

I have a small refractor on a grab and go mount and still manage to get out (weather permitting) fairly regularly I can be set up in minutes and no cool down required in some ways a small refractor makes a lot of sense for the weather we are having. Its almost as quick for me to get my scope set up as it is to take a pair of binoculars

Thanks for the replies so far - nice to hear some positive stuff about these scopes.. I've become accustomed to hearing them taking a bashing with regards AP... but my new more relaxed attitude to scopes (looking for a 'Jack of all trades' rather than a master of AP) - means I'm searching for something to have fun with rather than to get perfection with - and people in a similar camp seem to be a bit more forgiving of equipment.

Using for AP the Newt is faster and therefore shorter subs, the SCT has a longer FL and could do with a Focal Reducer using one of theses its still a slower scope and longer Focal length so requires longer subs and would really could do with a guide scope just a bit more expense, for me if i were limited to one scope i would go for the Newt as it is now i will replace the Newt with a Dob and keep the SCT for imagine the Dob for viewing....

Tinker1947 - Just out of interest, why did you say you'd keep the SCT for AP if the Newt was giving shorter subs etc - was it just a practical thing (the SCT being smaller)?

Assuming you've taken pics with both, did one or the other give better results?

For the price of an ED80 with  FF you could get a 130PDS and a 127Mak that would cover pretty much all targets and would work well with the HEQ5.

Alan

Sorry - I'm a bit thick!

what is the 'FF' you referred to... and also the 127Mak?

..actually after a bit of thought is 'FF' Field Flattener?
and 127Mak is that the Skywatcher Skymax 127 (Maksutov-Cassegrain)?

So the 130p-ds would be for imaging - and the longer focal length 127Mak for viewing - is that right - I presume the different focal lengths would give you different views (ie the 127 would produce larger images of the same object)? ....interesting

Sorry - I'm a bit thick!

what is the 'FF' you referred to... and also the 127Mak?

Sorry the FF is the field flattener or sometimes combined with a focal reducer its pretty much a must have for an ED80 the  127 Mak is one of these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-ota.html it was just an effort to look at alternatives.

Alan

Thanks for the replies so far - nice to hear some positive stuff about these scopes.. I've become accustomed to hearing them taking a bashing with regards AP... but my new more relaxed attitude to scopes (looking for a 'Jack of all trades' rather than a master of AP) - means I'm searching for something to have fun with rather than to get perfection with - and people in a similar camp seem to be a bit more forgiving of equipment.

Tinker1947 - Just out of interest, why did you say you'd keep the SCT for AP if the Newt was giving shorter subs etc - was it just a practical thing (the SCT being smaller)?

Assuming you've taken pics with both, did one or the other give better results?

The SCT fits into my small Obby better than the Newt and in the past i found trying to do Imagine meant a lot of sitting about while it ticked away, so the master plan get another scope thats where the SCT came in i would like to do Galaxies ect so a long Focal length would be better, i have fitted a OAG and it gives 5 minute images just needs a bit of tweaking and its sorted, so the viewing can still happen with a Newt (Dob) i'm thinking of a 16" with GoTo some time later this year not as cheap as a mount for my 10" but loads more light and quicker to set-up...

Archived