NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Odd Request

Alien 13

Hello all.

I have a WO ZS71 and quite fancy actually having a look through it instead of having it live its life with  a camera attached.

I am a total noob at the visual side of things but this is a list of things i would like to try.

1. Visual of the moon and sun (with solar filter of course) i expect i would need something around 8mm  not sure if it needs to be a 2" jobbie or not.

2. Wide field with the lowest possible magnification which i assume would have to be a 2" one @ 40mm.

My scope has a FL of about 400mm and a FR of 5.9 but like i said i know nothing about  eyepieces/fov/eye relief.

I did try a std skywatcher diagonal and 20mm in it but the view was abysmal lots of CA lots of wierd things happening to the FOV when i moved my eye about.

Any thoughts, recomendations? Thanks in advance.

Alan

My 80mm APM has about the same focal ratio, and the same EPs should work well in yours. Any good quality 6-8mm EP should give good results on the sun and moon. A second-hand Radian is an excellent choice. A size of 1.25" is enough, just use a 2"->1.25" adaptor. I would recommend a 2" star diagonal for the wide-field side. I would seriously consider the MaxVision EPs at the moment, I have the 24 and 20mm 68 deg ones, and they are superb value for money (that 24mm gives the widest possible field in a . I have not myself looked through the 24mm 82 deg one, but by all accounts it is close to Nagler quality, for a fraction of the price (I had the Meade-branded 14mm 82 deg, and it held its own against a Nagler 17T4, the MaxVisions are re-branded Meades, optically and mechanically identical). The 24mm 82 deg gives a 4.9 deg FOV in your scope, at a 4mm exit pupil size. Wider views still can be had with the likes of a Nagler 31T5 (6.36 deg) at a 5.25mm exit pupil (and steeply increased price). Something in between (14-16mm) would be nice as well. The MaxVision 16mm 68 deg is good in terms of sharpness, but not suitable if you need to wear glasses while observing.

Archived