Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ed80 with heq5 or Advanced vx

Hi folks,

I've been reading and learning the sky for several months since my last post and not bought anything yet. Thinking to change that soon having played with a few scopes too.

I'm still really keen on the ed80 as imaging is still a major goal.

I have been saving some penny's looking assuming the heq5 pro was the likely choice for mount, however, noticed the advanced vx mount seems pretty capable.

I then discovered, unless I'm missing something obvious...

The celestion c6-n advanced vx comes in at £765, where as the mount alone comes in at £799.

The heq5 pro about 750.

So if the mounts are comparable, and I buy with the ed80, I can effectively get a free 6 inch reflector for when I solely want to view.

Am I just finding old prices or something, is the vx a good choice and capable for long exposure with the ed80? Heq5 pro vs Advamced vx?

Any thoughts or points I'm missing much appreciated.

Cheers.

I have not used one, so may well be wrong but the A-VX is an upgrade of the CG5-GT. The CG5-GT is the equivalent of the EQ5 Pro Synscan not the HEQ5. With an ED80, I am sure either would be fine but it does perhaps limit future options. Best option is talk to someone who has actually used one. I have used an HEQ5 and a CG5-GT and I would have no hesitation in recommending the HEQ5.

As I understand it, the vx is the equivalent to the HEQ5 but a bit better and they're new mounts and pretty good value, e.g.:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-vx-goto/celestron-c6-n-newtonian-vx-goto.html

- HEQ5 are similar to the CG5-GT http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-cg-5-gt-goto.html which have been discontinued (but apparently are better quality than the HEQ5) in favour of the VX, so if you're in the market for a HEQ5 or similar mount it really is the case you get a better/similar mount plus 6" scope for the same money.  Or you could save £250 and get the CG5-GT while stocks last. 

Thanks for the replies.

From what I understood, 'by only reading and google' the upgrades made the vx more comparable to the heq5 pro, that the eq5. Hard to find any exact figures or experience with the vx.

but when I asked FLO about the CG5 Martin mentioned that the VX "competes" with the HEQ5

It says it has upgraded bearings for better load handling, so could be closer to HEQ5. The CG5-GT is a bit better than the EQ5, so if the A-VX is an upgrade from that even, I can see how it could be considered if you are thinking about an HEQ5. Like I said, I haven't used one of the new ones so can't speak from experience.

Will you be wanting to use EQMOD to control the mount for imaging?

Maybe down the line,but also considering synguider stand alone options too. The heq5 pro does seem the slightly more obvious choice.

I was thinking the ed80 with st80 synguider not top.

My location is not bad, not great, so portable is a good option too. Hence looking at slightly lighter mount, but not down to eq5 lighter.

I was looking at the £1500 ish figure.

HEQ5/ED80/ST80 is the tried and tested recipe but there is a lot of chatter about the A-VX. If no EQMOD and perhaps more limited OTA options in future are not deal breakers then the A-VX could be fine and as you say, with a free 6" Newt. Or even sell the Newt for £80-£100 and the mount is even cheaper.

I'm not helping am I :o

Haha... I've been patient with the spending for months, so yes and no. I think I decided what I wanted on the first day.

I'm not sure why i said above about slightly lighter mount, to be honest I really don't care about size. Cost and suitability come way before size and a few extra kilos.

The eqmod/laptop will probably be more a known answer when I see how I get on with focussing. I assume the eqmod equivalent is available for the celestron anyway?

Yes the heq5,st/ed80 seems a great combo, just don't want to overlook the vx as the heq5 gets mixed reviews. But guess it's still too early to get much feedback on the vx to compare.

My other curiosity was if the vx would be quicker/easier to align, or if much different as reports or the alignment software better.

HEQ5/ED80/ST80 is the tried and tested recipe but there is a lot of chatter about the A-VX. If no EQMOD and perhaps more limited OTA options in future are not deal breakers then the A-VX could be fine and as you say, with a free 6" Newt. Or even sell the Newt for £80-£100 and the mount is even cheaper.

I'm not helping am I :o

Stability wise the Advanced VX is actually better as it comes with the same 2inch tripod as the NEQ6 Pro.

Don't let yourself be put off. If you found a good deal on the Advanced VX. Go for it.

There is a huge thread about this mount on Cloudy Nights by the way.

It's a very good mount and has at least the same load capacity as the HEQ5 Pro.

Stability wise the Advanced VX is actually better as it comes with the same 2inch tripod as the NEQ6 Pro.

Don't let yourself be put off. If you found a good deal on the Advanced VX. Go for it.

There is a huge thread about this mount on Cloudy Nights by the way.

It's a very good mount and has at least the same load capacity as the HEQ5 Pro.

My experience has been that 2" legs don't make a significant difference unless you are loading the mount to the limit, which you don't want to do in any case. I agree the A-VX looks good on paper, but you can make almost anything look good on paper! There is also quite a few reports of new purchases where the buyer says 'yes, this the best thing :D', then 2 month time, 'hang on, it's not as good as I thought'.

I must stress that I don't know the A-VX mount and it may well be very capable but I wouldn't state it is actually better, based on something I read or on some published specs. If you have owned an A-VX and compared to HEQ5 then please accept my sincere apologies but everything here is opinion. Better to make clear that it is opinion, and even more—the opinion of others, not fact.

Hopefully now someone who owns one will come and tell us how good it is :)

My experience has been that 2" legs don't make a significant difference unless you are loading the mount to the limit, which you don't want to do in any case. I agree the A-VX looks good on paper, but you can make almost anything look good on paper! There is also quite a few reports of new purchases where the buyer says 'yes, this the best thing :D', then 2 month time, 'hang on, it's not as good as I thought'.

I must stress that I don't know the A-VX mount and it may well be very capable but I wouldn't state it is actually better, based on something I read or on some published specs. If you have owned an A-VX and compared to HEQ5 then please accept my sincere apologies but everything here is opinion. Better to make clear that it is opinion, and even more—the opinion of others, not fact.

Hopefully now someone who owns one will come and tell us how good it is :)

Like I said. There is a huge thread on CN about the Advanced VX going back all the way since the Advanced VX launch.

The latest reports is, that people are very happy with it and that it performs just as good as the HEQ5 Pro. People have managed up to 2min unguided exposures so far. Which brings it pretty much on par With the HEQ5 Pro / NEQ6 Pro´s PE / tracking performance. :)

Archived