Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Splitting doubles or more ?

Hello there seasoned splitters.

I just got myself a skymax 127 Cass/Mak scope. I am wondering if I will be able to take pictures with my DSLR camera through this of doubles ?

Focal length on this scope is 1500mm and 127mm in diameter.

I also have a SW explorer 200PDS but no trackable mount for it so wont be using that anytime soon.

Hi Christian,

You should have no problems at all using your 127 Mak and DSLR.

I use a 120 refractor with f/l of 1000mm, and since early last year I have been taking images of doubles.

With my scope and Canon 450D, on a good night I can comfortably split (and image) down to about 6 arc seconds. I can do better visually of course.

I have been making my own little catalogue of doubles and I took the interest a little further and now I use 'Reduc' to reduce them, giving me quite an accurate measurement of split and RA too.

Unfortunately I have not been able to do much of late due to work and weather.

Please feel free to look at my website.

Thanks

Martin

I have a similar scope (different label, but same optics) on an EQ mount. I've tried both DSLR and webcam imaging of doubles, and would say the webcam images are more like the visual (my main interest) ones in terms of resolution. For example, in the double-double image, the star disks are closer to the theoretical Airy disk size. Attached pic plus density scan across star images.post-8142-0-85359300-1394179892_thumb.jppost-8142-0-20235800-1394179949_thumb.jp

Chris

chris do you this this orion web cam could image doubles?   http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/Orion-StarShoot-Solar-System-Color-Imaging-Camera-IV/pc/-1/c/4/sc/58/p/52175.uts

I've tried but can't seem to make it work..it does ok on planets tho.

mike

chris do you this this orion web cam could image doubles?   http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/Orion-StarShoot-Solar-System-Color-Imaging-Camera-IV/pc/-1/c/4/sc/58/p/52175.uts

I've tried but can't seem to make it work..it does ok on planets tho.

mike

Can't see any reason why not; maybe someone else has tried?

Chris

Chris,

What is this density scan you have / do?

I assume it is a cross section of the light levels of each star, but can you calculate the magnitude etc?

Cheers

Martin

Yes density = intensity (I did it for years with film, so I tend to use the old terms)! Calculating the relative magnitude would be possible, but you'd need to calibrate the camera. I use it to measure half-width resolution.

Chris

I will work with the star shoot 4 again and let you folks know how it goes ..maybe mess with the gain and other settings ..

mike h

Archived