NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron SkyProdigy 130 - difficult to focus

Hi all - I wonder if there is a simple answer to this question. When I'm trying to get a precise focus on a subject on my telescope, I find the difference between a focussed and a fuzzy object requires an infinitesimal turn of the focus wheel. It's very much hit or miss, especially as every movement causes the telescope to shake for a few seconds. This is very frustrating. Is there any way of converting/adapting the rack & pinion mechanism to facilitate fine adjustments ?

The upgrade if for the Skywatcher crayford focuser, the Skyprodigy uses a rack and pinion. The Skywatcher autofocuser http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html could be adapted to suit the celestron focuser. There are also diy versions using model aircraft servos.

The focuser is really sloppy on that scope.

My father in law has got that scope and has the same problem. Here is getting really annoyed with it now.

He nearly forked out for a new focuser but luckily I stopped him because it wouldn't have fitted anyway.

Let me know if they come back while a solution.

Archived