Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SKYMAX-127 SynScan AZ GO-TO

Cloengaa

Hey all

I am just wondering when I go out in the firld and set up my mount how important is it to put gps coordinates spot on ?

Because some of the places I go it is really hard on google maps or other places to get the exact gps coordinates.

I off course want to use the goto function but also the tracking of planets.

There are free apps for smart phones which give you this information.

I suspect as long as you are not travelling vast distances, it probably isn't that important, as your star alignment will correct some things, but the computer inside the mount will be mistaken about what your visible horizon is really like so might get when things rise and set wrong, and what might be visible or not.

Give it a go.

Just have a go with the mount anyway; even if you are 10 miles away from the actual co-ordinates, I suspect you will still be able to get an OK GOTO accuracy if you do the set up and alignment well (if you stay are at the same latitude, you could just estimate how far east or west you are of known coordinates and then enter a fake time taking that estimated distance into consideration (but this requires some thinking)). If you have the wrong co-ordinates then when you do an alignment the scope will slew to slightly the wrong place in the sky for the first star (assuming you have not travelled 1000 miles), but then it should slew OK to the next one, and GOTO should be OK.

Trial and error. Maybe have a quick play at home, and enter the wrong co-ordinates (say 30 miles away from where you are) and see how it sets up and aligns.

Do feed back, I'll be interested to know.

JD

Archived