Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gauss crater with surroundings taken just after fullmoon -13.

Mr Bergman

Hi, 

still testing my QHY5L-ii. Image from end of last year, but newly reprocessed. QHY with 2x barlow, roughly best 50% of 1500 images. Got some artefacts which you can see, and maybe maybe a little oversharpened work, but still quite happy with the results! 

The big crater to the right is Gauss, 177km wide with a depth of 3,6km, situated on the northeastern part of the Moon. Interesting here is that this image is taken just after fullmoon, which should be the optimal viewing time for this target. ( Which I just realised ). You can clearly see the smaller satellite Gauss craters E,F,G,W,B, inside the walled plain. 

Also visible in the foreground are Geminus with it´s terraces, Messala above, and just below Gauss Berosus and Hahn. Lower part shows Cleomedes. 

It´s always nice to get a sense of scale, why I used host.planet4589.org to have a look at the digital NASA catalogue of lunar nomenclature for craterwidths. 

Hope you liked it! 

/Erik

12768955625_2274c19290_z.jpg

Archived