NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with IP camera for remote monitoring of obs.

michaelmorris

I'm slowly equipping my observatory for remote operation. I installed an old toucam webcam for monitoring the inside of the observatory, but I've found that this takes up way too much computer resources on my aging observatory computer when it's running camera control and guiding software as well.

It struck me that an IP camera connected direct to a homeplug may get around this problem. But here is the problem - I need a cheap IP camera with good low light performance (comparable with a Philips Toucam?) without the need for IR LED illumination. Can anyone suggest a make/model that fulfils these criteria?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've got a Foscam FI8910W. Works well, but does use IR (you can turn it on/off remotely). Oh, and I use it on a homeplug (actually a homeplug with a wifi adapter built in, so I don't even use the network cable).

I got a cheap copy of the Foscam first, but it was Rubbish and I returned it.

If I turn it on during an exposure, at worst it could cause glare. I would be a lot happier if extraneously light sources were kept to a minimum.

Ah ok, thank you.

I must admit the IR lights on the camera we have are reasonably bright but it's the power and data lights that light up our room at night......by comparison the IR lights don't emit enough to light anything up.

Having done a bit more research, I think I will probably end up getting the Foscam FI8910w as, although it is £15 more, it has far better audio and is more weather proof, than the FI8918w suggested in an earlier thread. I'll probably end up swapping the supplied f2.4 lens for a wider angle f1.4 model.

Archived