newbie from sunny Salford

Littlemissmadge

Welcome to SGL, if you want to meet like minded astronomers in Salford why not visit Salford Astronomical Society! All of our events, meetings and contact info can be found on our website at www.salfordastro.org.uk

Darren

@SalAstroSoc & @astronut1639

www.salfordastro.org.uk

Hi Madge

I hope Darren won't mind me saying you would also be made welcome at Heaton Park Astronomy Group. We try to cater for beginners and children are welcome. Some of the people from Salford Astro come here and vice versa. Salford Astro meets Wednesdays and Heaton Park Thursdays.

Details at www.hpag.co.uk, updated Thursday mornings once we have a weather forecast.

Pete

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember when I was a teenager going to a star party in the centre of town (Scarborough) and a chap called John showed us many interesting sights, the best by far was Saturn, it just seemed to hang there in the eyepiece, pity it took me 30 years to buy my own kit and see the sight again.

That'll be SARAS founder and now honorary president John Harper.  I moved to Scarborough in 2008 having never looked through a telescope and went to a star party on Oliver's Mount and was hooked after a couple of hours listening to John and seeing the night sky (including Saturn) even through some light pollution.

Hi Andy,

It was John Harper and he was set up in the main street near to the end of Bar Street.  They used the gardens on St Nicholas Cliff sometimes as well.  I would think it was around 1983.  I grew up in the town, but moved to Newcastle to go to Uni just before, so this was one of my visits back home.  My folks still live just outside Scarborough and my Mum used to send John's column in the Scarborough Evening News now and again, but I know that has finished now with the changes at the paper.

John put on a very good show, both his knowledge and his delivery and I can't think of anyone who went and didn't come away inspired.  I had a look at your 'club house' and obs, very nice and in a dark location.

Robin

Archived