Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

21/02/14

JB80

Another shot from this morning, this time it's a stack of 18. I still think I can probably do better in choosing the final images but that will come the more I get my eye in so to speak. I also tried a slightly different "unsharp mask" setting, the difference is slight and I'm sure only I notice it because I know it's there but I think it contrasts the faculae a bit better.

post-8383-0-18306300-1392984949_thumb.jp

post-8383-0-39314300-1392984956_thumb.jp

Our daily sun?  Looking good Jarrod, it must be the new processing.

I also tried a slightly different "unsharp mask" setting, the difference is slight and I'm sure only I notice it because I know it's there but I think it contrasts the faculae a bit better.

attachicon.gifqs.jpg

attachicon.gifq.jpg

I wouldn't be so sure, not a lot gets past Steve.

Robin

Thanks, I think it's helped a lot in getting an even level of stacking across the disc. It's just a matter of now fine tuning the set up I think and see if it can go any further.

At the moment I can do daily shots weather depending so I'm going to make the most of it while I can.

I wouldn't be so sure, not a lot gets past Steve.

Good point. :D

Shouldn't of said anything.

Just a couple of random thoughts.....

I wonder if I used the DMK41 would I get a full disc on camera like I would with the PST?

Also wondering if it's worth dusting off the 90mm celestron refractor I have and trying with that, I can always try it out.

To find out what the field of view is I use Starizona's CCD FoV calculator. 

http://starizona.com/acb/ccd/calc_pixel.aspx

It has the Canon and Imaging Source cameras in.  If your scope isn't listed, just select 'none' and enter the focal length.  You need at least 33 arc minutes to just fit the sun in, although for most of us, you need a bit more to take account of tracking.

I think your scope is 1200mm focal length, so with a Canon, your FoV is 63 x 42 arc minutes.  A DMK41 will give you 17 x 13 arc minutes, not enough even with a 0.5x focal reducer.  It works in a PST as the focal length of a PST is only 400mm.  DMK41, 400mm = 51 x 38 arc minutes.

Note, I have rounded up or down the FoVs.

Robin

Thanks Robin for the link and the explanation, that makes sense. It may work well on individual spots then?

Looks good to me sir ...  :laugh:

My only comment would be to drop the contrast a bit or lower the top end histogram to cure the overblown centre ...  :smiley:

Cheers, yeah I have noticed that of late. I will endeavour to fix that as it did bug me today.

Do you let Reg stretch things on his own ... ? 

I used to get that effect to start with but now I click No and sort it myself.

And Reg 6 is automatically stretching things for me , must have inadvertently ticked something by mistake ...  :rolleyes:

I get the disc looking somewhere near with Contrast , Histogram and Gamma tweaking before applying any Sharpening , seems easier to control things I find .

That said my disc looks overbright on here today , looks much better full size on Astrobin ...  :p  

Thank you David. :)

Steve, no I don't stretch things. It always asks after I have loaded the pics about the intensity level to which I say no and other than that I just stack it and wavelets then move on to PS.

To be honest I don't touch the contrast at all since I started using the levels and gamma but probably should use it, for the most part I follow Rogers tutorial PS settings although I have slightly varied from a few of the numbers now and make the last step changing the colour balance.

Strange though, after PIPP the pics appear nice and flat. I guess stacking it highlights the bright points, after all the center is closer to us but I don't like overblown.

I think my pics generally look more crisp on astrobin, today I could see the difference quite easily.

Looks good to me too, Jarrod :smiley:

Do you let Reg stretch things on his own ... ? 

And Reg 6 is automatically stretching things for me , must have inadvertently ticked something by mistake ...  :rolleyes:

Looks like I've pressed the same button!  :eek:  I can't get it to stop auto stretching when loading a stacked image to use wavelets. I've resorted to placing a small black patch and white patch in a corner of the image as a workaround. :confused:

Archived