Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally get out again, plus a nice wide field image!

Langy

Well the evening started off pretty cloudy, went out for a smoke just after 8 and was amazed :smiley:  just how clear it had become. Got all the gear ready in the kitchen to go out and then started setting up outside. After about 15 minutes outside a quick shower so rushed the odd bits back in the kitchen door. 5 minutes later and all clear again, strange weather! :confused:

So went back outside again and set the DSLR up on top of the scope with the 75-300 lens set at 75mm for a change. 10 second exposures with the help of the cheap MD and managed to know off around 60 lights. Which when you consider I set the timer to take a 10 second image wait 15 seconds to allow it to be saved then take the next one. 300D is not that quick with saving the RAW images, at least this way I had no buffering issues.

While the camera was snapping away I got out the new bins and my modified bracket for the tripod which I had to treat with a file to work properly on my bins.

Packed up just after 11 when the cloud rolled in and downloaded all the images, processed in DSS tweaked a little in PS to get this.

Orion 20 Feb 2014

A most enjoyable night and pleased to get what I think is a nice image. The nebula is a bit blown out, would be interesting to see if anyone could tweak it a bit more to get a better image. I'm pleased with it anyway! :smiley:

Don't know if the image is full quality but the original is far better, certainly no trailing stars.

Well done on the persistence! And a nice shot.  Try isolating the centre of the neb with a feathered selection tool. I reselect each time I do an iteration of gentle Curves so there's no obvious line where you make the selection. There's also a Layer Mask. This shows you how a Layer Mask is used. You can use a copy of the original before it's stretched instead of different exposures:

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/LAYMASK.HTM

Alexxx

Well done on the persistence! And a nice shot.  Try isolating the centre of the neb with a feathered selection tool. I reselect each time I do an iteration of gentle Curves so there's no obvious line where you make the selection. There's also a Layer Mask. This shows you how a Layer Mask is used. You can use a copy of the original before it's stretched instead of different exposures:

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/LAYMASK.HTM

Alexxx

Thanks Alex, I will have a go with this tonight. All the years I've played around with PS for photography I've done a lot of different things, but it's been a while since I've worked on anything in PS other than creating effects for textual work etc.

Archived