Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG5 GT with ADM Saddle

Pinpoint

I fitted a replacement ADM saddle to my CG5 GT.

During setup, I did rough polar alignment using the polarscope then I aligned the index marks as per instructions, but, when I fitted the OTA found that it was pointing west of polar north by about 3 - 4 degrees. I re-checked the index marks, they were still aligned.

It's my belief that with the index marks aligned the OTA is supposed to point towards polar north? Muchly appreciated if someone could confirm this for the CG5.

PS: Although there's nothing mentioned about this in the ADM instructions I have, I've since found that the misalignment issue seems to stem from the replacement ADM saddle itself. I clamped a spirit level into the saddle, then turned the saddle till it was vertical according to the spirit bubble and painted a small white dot in what appears to be the new index mark position for the ADM saddle.

I believe that the index marks are pretty arbitray as to where they are placed.

North sums it up as a general direction but that is about all you can say and it is the same with many mounts. I have owned the CG5GT in the past and if I remember rightly these index marks are just stuck with glue and it is pretty nigh impossible to locate them accurately like that. Having said that the ADM saddle is a marvel and takes the mount to another level - good purchase!

• 6 months later...

I just invested in this mod for my CG5-GTA and it has positively change the mount and made it more usable than ever! The weight and added length of the ADM saddle make it much easier to balance/re-balance as I change eyepieces and camera combos on my 127 Mak as well as with the SWED80. I think this is a great buy! 

Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...

I thought you might like to

see this.A C11 on a CG-5 mount.

I just line the whole scope up

north. using a compass.Make sure

all the marks, on the mount line

up.It does not have to be spot

on, facing north. I then do a

planetry aline.And then a sync,

on the planet .And away you go.

Steve

post-1842-0-14847500-1414061128_thumb.jp

Steve: Thanks for the reply. I will recheck my mount and drive and post back. It would seem as if some cg5-advanced mounts end up with the saddle placed in a left/west inclination.

I have just checked the mount &

it is all straight,with the marks lined up.

It looks like the mount marks are out,

on your scope.

Steve

It looks like the marks are out

Archived