My 1st Jupiter

moonmankey

Hi, i got my 1st scope (Skymax 127 on a goto mount) a couple of weeks ago, after waiting for clear sky's my chance came on Thursday night.

I managed to get a pic of Jupiter which i am quiet pleased with despite the far from ideal conditions, the wind was battering the scope and my North East London garden is surrounded by high trees.

I used an Xbox camera which i got from CEX for the pricely sum of £1.50. I took approx 4mins of footage at 30fps, i have since found out that this may have been too long due to the fast rotation of Jupiter.

I put the cam straight into the back of the scope which i think is the reason why the image is so small, am i right in thinking that if i use a Barlow lens this will double the image size?

I did try the Barlow lens but i couldn't focus the image, any ideas on how much i need to cut off the webcam tube?

I would like to thank everyone who posts their great info on this forum which allowed my to get into this hobby ! i never though i would be imaging planets from light polluted London so soon!

thanks

Michael

post-35153-0-28877900-1392462309.png

post-35153-0-11900100-1392462632_thumb.j

Thats a very nice image Michael.  Don't worry about rotational blur at this focal length 4 mins is fine. You simply can't capture detail small enough to see any blurring.  When I started out with a cheap webcam I taped it directly to the barlow rather than use a length of tube. A 2x barlow will work much better for sure giving you a larger image and stick to the 4 min capture time.

Archived