NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder Scope ?

Ok, just found this article from Celestron central which basically says the same thing:

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?group=c3&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&nav=0&kbarticleid=2497&group=c3

but I really wouldn't waste my time with the cheap first replacement finder the article suggests - they're a waste of money in my experience (I had a Seben 30mm one).  The tape mounting seems like a bad idea too.

I would say there are limitations to the finder scope I would attach to a 130mm scope. My solution

post-5655-0-44625000-1368112502_thumb.jp

at 14x70 is probably a bit big. A finder shoe could hold it, but upsets the balance of the scope. Once you have mounted a finder shoe, you can stick many different types of finders on it. A 9x50 (or so) right-angle, correct-image finder would be my favourite. The right-angle bit reduces the contortions needed to look through the finder, the correct image bit means the motions make more sense. 

BTW, I attached a Baader universal finder shoe to my Celestron, after removing a piggy-back camera bracket I did not use. My success rate at finding objects has sky-rocketed since I installed the big finder. Money very well spent. I did retain the old 6x30 finder, simply for initial alignment. Every time I remove the big finder in order to store the telescope, and re-attach it for use, it loses alignment with the main scope. It is no more than 2-3 minutes work to align with the 6x30, and tweak the main finder back into alignment.

You can use any type but you can find that a specific scope has mounting holes specific to that brand.

A good RDF is made by Williams Optics but the mounting holes are I think different to the ones on a Skywatcher scope.

So it can get to be a nuscience getting one to fit.

Sure I have seen alternative mounting brackets but buying one just adds to the overall cost. Also means you would have to search out one.

Before you go changing finders decide on what actually suits you.

There are basically 4 or 5 types and you could go through 3 before getting the one that works for you.

Just because it is different or it works for one person doen't mean that it is the right one for you.

It does pay to have a close look at any mounting holes available on your scope. The Baader finder shoe has slotted holes, which allow attachment to a range of scopes. If you find suitable mounting holes, simply measure the distance between them and ask your supplier if the shoe or finder you would like fits.

I looked into this for my 130EQ. The link below is the comparison of the two finder scopes I was looking at.

There is a final image of how I attached it after I removed the current RDF as I didn't want to screw or stick it on to the scope for now.

The Telrad is excellent, so easy to use and when you get it lined up (I just used the moon the Jupiter) it takes you almost spot on every time.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207382-rdf-replacement/

It might be an idea to leave the existing one in place. Then when you upgrade and sell the scope on it will have a finder.

Then I'd suggest getting one of these finders and the shoe to go with it:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Orion_6x30_Right_Angle_Finder.html

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Dovetail_Base_For_Finder.html

You'll need to drill two small holes in the tube just above the focuser where ever you find convenient. Ensure the holes are parallel to the main tube. This shouldn't be a problem - stick a cross of duct tape where you drill a hole to ensure the drill bit doesn't slip (there are alternatives if you prefer straight through finders).

Now you have a much better finder which gives the same view of the sky as when you look directly up naked eye - this'll help you find stuff easier. And you also have the option of taking the finder off when you sell it - but leave the shoe on so the holes aren't exposed. This will minimise any loss to ony £13.99 and gives the purchaser the option of adding their own finder. You can put your retained finder on your next scope.

Hth :)

Archived