NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sometimes the optics are just bad.

frugal

Every now and again I get out my daughter's Astromaster 114EQ and try to connect the DSLR to it, but I have never had any luck. A lot of the problem is that the mount is not motorised (and shakes like a jelly), but I have never been able to achieve focus properly. My daughter asked why I did not just try to do it during the day when I would not have to worry about the object I am trying to focus on wandering off screen.

So this afternoon I set up the scope outside and pointed it at the opposite side of the valley. Even with a landscape target it was still impossible to get good focus. Here is the best focus that I managed to achieve with live view at x10 (using Bakyard EOS was no better as the live view was stacking shots and the mount wobbling was making it worse).

The full field of view: 

post-32477-0-75653200-1392318588_thumb.j

A 100% cropped view of a small part of the image:

post-32477-0-21824900-1392318630_thumb.j

I have the donut of happy collimation, so I am fairly certain that the collimation is okay. The mirrors look clean, the scope has only been out a dozen times in the last year and it is stored with the lens cap on. I think that part of the problem is that it is a Bird-Jones design scope, so there is a lens in the eye-piece tube to bring it into focus, I think that this lens is good enough for visual work, but not good enough for imaging.

i had to google "Bird-Jones design scope" it does not sound like a great design, have you tried it on the moon?

The design itself is not bad, but it has been used on few cheap and nasty products giving it bad name.

Archived