Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Keele University Obsy. Open to public and free!

maxheadroom

Looks like a good bet for half term. Open Tuesdays 8-10pm free entry plus Saturday afternoons for solar viewing.

Has anyone been for a look? :)

"Welcome to Keele Observatory. It was founded in 1962 to host a 31cm refractor dating back to 1874. It has since acquired a 61cm reflector for research and, very recently, a 15cm solar telescope. We welcome visits from schools and the public."

http://www.astro.keele.ac.uk/Observatory

I've been a couple of time - fantastic observatory and the students in charge are very welcoming, knowledgeable, and put on a great introductory tour of the place for public visitors.

They briefly go over every aspect of telescopes and imaging, they'll show you the two obsy domes, and if it's clear they'll open it and you'll get some views through the hugest scopes an amateur will probably ever use. If it's not clear you'll get a tour, a demo of remote large scope control and imaging, and a short talk followed by Q&A.

If you've not seen a proper obsy before it will be the most interesting and exciting couple of hours you've ever had at night - well almost lol. :grin:

Highly recommended! :)

I've been a couple of time - fantastic observatory and the students in charge are very welcoming, knowledgeable, and put on a great introductory tour of the place for public visitors. They briefly go over every aspect of telescopes and imaging, they'll show you the two obsy domes, and if it's clear they'll open it and you'll get some views through the hugest scopes an amateur will probably ever use. If it's not clear you'll get a tour, a demo of remote large scope control and imaging, and a short talk followed by Q&A. If you've not seen a proper obsy before it will be the most interesting and exciting couple of hours you've ever had at night - well almost lol. :grin: Highly recommended! :)

Lol sounds great we will be there with the nippers for the evening next week. I'm like a kid at Christmas already. I'll try to remember to take some pics :)

Cloud central....caught Jupiter tho..good talking to the staff shall have to go again on a clear night

I was there for an hour with the little ones. Excellent all round despite the clouds. The view of Jupiter was incredible through the 'beast' even through light cloud, rock solid and packed with colour and detail. I'll be there next week without restless, excitable children for the full hit given clear skies.

The talk was very enjoyable especially about the scale of things. A real eye opener and plenty of references on line to revisit.

My advice if you are going is find it properly on google because the post code takes you miles away. The campus is like a huge rabbit warren full of speed bumps.

After we found the thing it gets 10/10 :)

Max

Archived