Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to balance a Celestron 8" EdgeHD in all 3 Axes?

Well, I am now the proud owner of a Celestron 8" EdgeHD. It is a thing of great beauty, but I have stumbled across my first problem, within an hour of playing with it... How do I balance it in all three axes?

I have it mounted on my HEQ5-Pro using a Vixen bar along the bottom of the tube. I can balance in RA & Dec, but when it comes to Vertical, it is way off as the finder scope is mounted off centre... There doesn't seem to be any way of twisting the tube around as I can with my other scope mounted in rings. I can't mount the finder scope centrally as the bracket and screws don't line up. So, any ideas as to what I can do to balance it up?

I hope that somebody can help, please!

Ok, panic over.... Sort of solution found. I am using just one screw to attach the finder scope bracket, rather than the prescribed two. It can now be positioned centrally. It seems stable enough. So, I can at least use the scope (if conditions ever allow).

I would like to hear what anybody else has done about this though, please.

And please don't say OAG......! I have no money left until 2015 now!

First, congrats on getting the Edge!

Balancing vertically is a problem how, exactly? What happens if it isn't balanced vertically? When in use, the OTA's centre of gravity is not likely to be directly over the dovetail for long, unless you're especially fond of Polaris. If the finder's position were an important issue then they wouldn't typically be mounted off-centre. Vertical balancing is not a problem I've ever heard of, as long as RA and Dec are balanced.

So, either you're worrying over a nonexistent problem, or I'm about to learn something :)

Thanks @lbbo! I see the bit you refer too, but that doesn't really apply to the set up I am trying to balance. It's about a slightly different set up with side by side scopes. Maybe one day...!

Phil, perhaps I am worrying about something I shouldn't worry about? However, I found that guiding my SW 80ED was loads better once I had balanced vertically too. I read this page: http://www.highsierraimaging.com/Balance.html and followed the balancing instructions. I have also seen a vid on astronomy shed about this too. Guiding has been so sweet since then and I have done 20 minute subs with no problem and feel that I could do way longer if my DSLR could cope with it! So, I was very keen to be able to balance the edge in all 3 axes. Thankfully I seem to have sussed that now I have managed to fix the finder scope centrally.

The proof, however, will be in the pudding... once I manage to get outside and start using in earnest. Fingers crossed that I don't have to wait tooooo long!

Hmm. I read that page, and as far as I can tell, while it advises to "check for vertical balancing", that's just part of balancing the RA axis, making sure the scope stays where you put it with both clamps unlocked.

If you say that there's a thing you did which improved guiding then I'm not going to tell you that you didn't, but all the same I don't understand!

That's exactly it. If the vertical balance is out, the scope can't stay in all positions with both clamps unlocked. The tube needs to be rotated around the axis along the length of the tube. It only really comes in to play if things are sticking out from the tube, eg finder scopes, focusers on a newt, etc. I also think it only really makes a big difference with imaging, though don't quote me on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived