Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn With Binocular/Spotting Scope

I'd like to know what magnification would I be able to view Saturns rings? I know it's hard with most binoculars, but I do hear that some have luck with the Yukon spotting scope. What magnification of the spotting scope would I need? I was trying to see which one at the Amazon site. Thanks.

25X magnification is enough to clearly reveal Saturn's ring provided that the binocular or spotting scope is tripod mounted. To see detail of the rings requires much higher magnification and requires the use of a dedicated astronomical telescope. Welcome to the forum.  :smiley:

Hi Pagandeva2000 and welcome to SGL,

I remember seeing Saturn for the first time with a 40mm/40x refractor many light years ago and it was small, very small. The only thing that gave it away was the color/colour and the lobes either side of the disk. I would imagine to enable any detail on any of the main planets with any spotting scope you would have to purchase one that can use interchangable eyepieces. As far as I am aware there are adaptors that can accomodate 1.25" telescope eyepieces, or if you know of any local engineering workshops they maybe able to make an adaptor.

I am curious as to why a spotting scope?

I do use binoculars too, (20x80's), and again Saturn is small, very small.

I know with Stellarium (free software you can download which is a must to have) you can set equipment in there.

This is often used by me to see what I may expect to see when I use my telescope with the 20mm and 10mm EP.

Thing I may now try and set it up for my new 10x25 binos that will be delivered this week.

Archived