Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good deal on used solar scope? Meade PST

Just grabbed this from the web for you:

The PST uses a cemented doublet achromatic lens assembly for its objective. (If you’re curious about how that works, check out “Refractor Telescope” in Guide To Space.) Some of the first PSTs to come out (and this is over a few years – not just a few beginning models) had silver (colored) coatings that over a period of time displayed a “weirdness” in the lens assembly. Some saw it as a discoloration, others saw as spots, some saw it as rust – but what it all boiled down to was not the coatings that had failed, but the cement between the lenses! The view was still fine, and still safe to the eyes – but at what it costs, was unacceptable.

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/16147/coronado-pst-personal-h-alpha-solar-telescope/#ixzz2sr6h2N00

I was quoted £150 to replace my objective on my 'rusted' PST. Didn't bother. The view was still great. You'll need to be quick to get that scope though, will be snapped up i would have thought for £275.

I think I'd pass on that one myself.   I've looked through a PST with the "rust" and the view was very degraded.  Maybe with minor "rust" it could be ok, but the one I viewed through was not.  I had my Lunt 35 alongside that was giving great views, so it was not the sky conditions spoiling things.

If you click on the upper image, the so called rust colour is apparent.

Sorry to put a damper on it, and at the risk of being wrong,  but I'd put the £275 towards something else.

Regards, Ed.

I think I'd pass on that one myself.   I've looked through a PST with the "rust" and the view was very degraded.  Maybe with minor "rust" it could be ok, but the one I viewed through was not.  I had my Lunt 35 alongside that was giving great views, so it was not the sky conditions spoiling things.

If you click on the upper image, the so called rust colour is apparent.

Sorry to put a damper on it, and at the risk of being wrong,  but I'd put the £275 towards something else.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks Ed, I slept on it and I think I will leave it. If the lense is compromised and it's had a lot of owners I may be better saving for something optically better. I think I'll get some eclipse glasses for now and see if that scratches the itch!

Max

Thanks Ed, I slept on it and I think I will leave it. If the lense is compromised and it's had a lot of owners I may be better saving for something optically better. I think I'll get some eclipse glasses for now and see if that scratches the itch!

Max

Hi Max, if you have a regular night time scope, you could add a solar filter to that for sunspot viewing.   Probably cheapest is a sheet of Baader Astrosolar, £ 20 or less, and make a DIY holder, just make certain it fits securely and cannot fall off.     Or add a filter to binos, to see the larger sunspots.

Regards, Ed.

Archived