NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

my 00 dob

just wondering, my old scope cpc 9.25, most night if i was lucky i could manage 200x - 250x sometimes more sometimes less.

my new scope even in poor seeing i can manage 270x, this is my most powerful ep, so last night had a better look pollux was twinkaling so skys wernt great but i managed 533x on jupiter and the views were still steady as a rock and i could see the transit going on, but the seeing didnt alter no moments of good and bad just constant stability. why do you think this is ?. any ideas, could this be the optics or the apperature

I've noticed this too. 265x is quite normal for lunar / planetary with my 12" OO dob and 318x / 398x not uncommon either. I guess it's better optical quality, smaller % central obstruction and less light travel distance though an open tube ?

I'll need to get a 12" refractor and see how that design compares  :grin:

Well, that 14inch 1/10 hilux is quite a step up compared to 9,25 don't you think. :p

yes i no that silly :smiley: but i didnt think magnification would come into that much just light grasp and resolving power. thank you for the complement though :tongue:

I've noticed this too. 265x is quite normal for lunar / planetary with my 12" OO dob and 318x / 398x not uncommon either. I guess it's better optical quality, smaller % central obstruction and less light travel distance though an open tube ?

I'll need to get a 12" refractor and see how that design compares  :grin:

thanks john that makes sence, be interesting to see a 12" refractor, looks like you will need a bigger settee  :grin: 

That gives me confidence  I am not going mad for saying I thought I was actually getting something out of my 230x - 300x mag views on Jupiter on occasion.  Guess the SW mirror is not all that bad after all. It is more than once I found this too, though not often.  Good collimation and on axis views in my budget BSTs to get the most out of it, and perhaps I was the lucky boy that got a 1/6PV pick from the batch :D

That gives me confidence  I am not going mad for saying I thought I was actually getting something out of my 230x - 300x mag views on Jupiter on occasion.  Guess the SW mirror is not all that bad after all. It is more than once I found this too, though not often.  Good collimation and on axis views in my budget BSTs to get the most out of it, and perhaps I was the lucky boy that got a 1/6PV pick from the batch :D

nice one homer :grin:

Archived