Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Attempting to use Compact Camera for Widefield Shots

Killie

I have been trying to take some constellation shots etc. with my compact camera.

Tonight it was clear for about 30 minutes so I took some widefield shots and got the  4 shots below that came out okay. I think they look pretty good after my playing in Photoshop but I am probably being limited quite badly by the noise levels. However is there anything here obvious that looks like it could be improved and if so how? :-)

get.jpg

get.jpg

get.jpg

get.jpg

I do hope to get a DSLR in the future but I am quite enjoying trying to learn things with the compact at the money before shelling out cash for a better camera.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice that may be forthcoming!

I am assuming you have a tripod? Looking at the spec of your camera you have a manual and a "night snapshot mode". One of those should give you a maximum of 15 seconds exposure. My thoughts would be 

1) set camera at wide angle and point to your chosen object.

2) Choose whichever mode that can give you up to 15 seconds.

3) Set camera ISO to 1600

4) Take shot and check exposure

5) If over exposed reduce shutter speed and or ISO

6) Retake and modify settings until satisfied exposure correct.

7) Take 20 exposures quickly but without creating movement of camera or tripod.

8) Fit lens cap or cover lens and take 20 dark frames.

9) Stack in DSS (Stars) or Registax (Moon)  

10) Crop, reduce noise, adjust brightmess/contrast etc. in your chosen photo editing program and let us see the results.

Dave,

Thanks for that I do have a tripod that I borrowed and will give your suggestions a go but last time I went near ISO 1600 it was a noisy mess that defeated my abilities to remove. The moment I get some clear sky I will try again however.

As I note I have actually got a firmware mod on the camera that lets me have a bit more control so shouldn't have an issue (I have even been taking my shots in RAW)

Dave,

Thanks for that I do have a tripod that I borrowed and will give your suggestions a go but last time I went near ISO 1600 it was a noisy mess that defeated my abilities to remove. The moment I get some clear sky I will try again however.

As I note I have actually got a firmware mod on the camera that lets me have a bit more control so shouldn't have an issue (I have even been taking my shots in RAW)

RAW even better. If noise is a problem then try ISO800 and 15 secs. They may be a little underexposed but by stacking them and then post processing you should be able to improve. Two photos attached. First is single frame taken tonight, somewhat underexposed (quickly as clouds coming over fast) Second is stacked - 10 frames and tweeked/cropped. 

post-34685-0-21212700-1391383760_thumb.j

post-34685-0-62436700-1391383788_thumb.j

Afocal isn't easy. I've a couple of images in my gallery.

You need a camera where you can control the settings for sure as it will try and focus and expose totally wrong.

Using a mount to hold the recording device on the scope is much better but not essential.

I took the moon hand held with my Canon S45 but had to sit the Canon on a tripod for Jupiter.

Archived