Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the best lens for capturing Milky Way

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this group, astrophotography and my new Nikon d7100. My main love and intro to astrophotography is going to be capturing Milky way and star trails (atm!!!)     Been researching a lot about which lenses are the best for this....and yep, my head is beginning to spin lol      Anyone have any preferences? Was going to be purchasing a 50mm prime real soon but have read that Tokina (11-16mm f/2.8) is a fantastic lens, especially for reducing coma, astigmatism and chromatic aberrations...is this correct??   Any experiences or opinions on all tried and tested lenses is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

If just taking one long exposure, I think a 50mm lens will have too narrow a field of view.

I have a Tamron 10-24mm lens (it's not fast) but at 10mm I get vignetting on a [near] full frame sensor, and at the lowest f/stop (can't remember what it is) I get coma.

I saw a lovely review online of a great lens about 2-4 months ago, but can't remember the details of the website or the lens, sorry.

Someone clever will be along soon and hopefully give you some better ideas.

Good luck.

James

I have the same problem with my kit 18-105 lens with Feild of view etc so thanks for reminding me of that!     Was checking out Rokinon 14mm and 24mm, heard they are great too     Thankyou so much for the links, I will definitely check them out!!!  :smiley:

I bought a Samyang 14mm f2.8 for exactly the purpose you want one for. (Its the same as the Rokinon).

For a 'cheap' lens it is excellent. On the strength of that I bought the Samyang 8mm as well which is also excellent for the money.

Sadly I cant show you any Milky Way images yet as a) the best part of it isn't visible to us yet and B) we haven't had a clear night since I bought them (yeah I know - its my own fault!!)

The only negative is that the infinity focus mark is miles out but by taking various test shots in daylight I now have a mark where true infinity focus is on the lens barrel and I can hit accurate focus in the dark instantly every time. (The 8mm was bob on - its was the 14mm that was miles out.

HTH.

Obviously, the more of the Milky Way you want in the frame the wider the better and a large aperture F2.8 or better is beneficial.  A 50mm lens will be very restrictive. Remember as your D7100 is DX format an 11-16 will be approx. 16-24 in 35mm terms. Prime focus lenses are normally better quality (and more expensive) than zoom lenses. Lenses also tend to give better quality results mid F stop range. You will need to juggle F-stop, shutter speed and ISO to get best results without star trails, noise etc. You can always stack lots of short exposure frames to improve the detail. 

post-34685-0-00484300-1391352109_thumb.j

Hi guys. I am using the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for astrophotography. I chose this lens over the canon 10-22 f/3.5-5.6 because of the fixed aperture. The tokina is also very handy for city photography as it can shoot a full cathedral in one go, up close.

I live in Denmark, so there is a fair bit of light pollution on my shots, but have a look here and make up your own mind (subject to light pollution)

I like to draw constellations on my images and the wide angle allows for just this, where as a 50 mm i more limited.

I bought a Samyang 14mm f2.8 for exactly the purpose you want one for. (Its the same as the Rokinon).

For a 'cheap' lens it is excellent. On the strength of that I bought the Samyang 8mm as well which is also excellent for the money.

Sadly I cant show you any Milky Way images yet as a) the best part of it isn't visible to us yet and B) we haven't had a clear night since I bought them (yeah I know - its my own fault!!)

The only negative is that the infinity focus mark is miles out but by taking various test shots in daylight I now have a mark where true infinity focus is on the lens barrel and I can hit accurate focus in the dark instantly every time. (The 8mm was bob on - its was the 14mm that was miles out.

HTH.

Haha, no clear skies here either!! Thanks,  I have Samyang 14mm on my list as well as Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (so I can also do my other love....landscape!!!)  I'm glad you mentioned Samyang 8mm, as I was wondering why so many ppl using 14mm and not the 8 especially when they're not using full frame!!!!!!   Thankyou for the infinity focus tip, it may come in handy very soon!  :wink:     Love to see some pics when you get the chance :smiley:   Cheers

Hi guys. I am using the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for astrophotography. I chose this lens over the canon 10-22 f/3.5-5.6 because of the fixed aperture. The tokina is also very handy for city photography as it can shoot a full cathedral in one go, up close.

I live in Denmark, so there is a fair bit of light pollution on my shots, but have a look here and make up your own mind (subject to light pollution)

I like to draw constellations on my images and the wide angle allows for just this, where as a 50 mm i more limited.

Thankyou, I am now sold on the Tokina 11-16 2.8 due to cross over with my other love....landscape!!!!!   Also like the sound of Samyang....whether 8 or 14, I will probably to and fro until the very last minute but least I have narrowed it done!!!!!  YAY :smiley:

Love the shots! they are awesome, especially for the amount of light pollution!!!!! 

Obviously, the more of the Milky Way you want in the frame the wider the better and a large aperture F2.8 or better is beneficial.  A 50mm lens will be very restrictive. Remember as your D7100 is DX format an 11-16 will be approx. 16-24 in 35mm terms. Prime focus lenses are normally better quality (and more expensive) than zoom lenses. Lenses also tend to give better quality results mid F stop range. You will need to juggle F-stop, shutter speed and ISO to get best results without star trails, noise etc. You can always stack lots of short exposure frames to improve the detail. 

attachicon.gifMilky Way 071013.jpg

My thoughts also on the 50mm, I am getting one but it will be for the standard potrait shots when it takes my fancy!    Still a lilttle confused as to why I'm reading 50mm as a good astrophotography lens unless you're after the "cropped" look......I'd rather wide and crop in PP tho that's just me!!!!!!  Stacking was going to be one of plans....just have to learn how to do it lol!   Settling on the Tokina 11-16 and a prime, either 8 or 14mm   Thanks for all the info :smiley:   Oh, and great pic btw!

Archived