Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First Jupiter images using registax

Hi again,

So this is my second topic in two days but I have become obsessed with astrophotography :D

A couple of weeks ago I captured Jupiter and am happy with the results, but I wonder if anyone has image processing tips for me?

Both images were taken using my Celestron Luminos 2.5x barlow 2" fitting and my SW250PDS and EQ6 pro.

The Colour image was done with my Canon EOS1000D and the mono image with my SPC900NC with b/w sensor mod.

I used registax for both images. The wavelet screen in registax looks useful but I haven't figured out how to use it. I also have photoshop cs4 if anyone has done clever stuff with that? These images are unedited after registax.

Thanks

000001.bmp

jupiter spc900nc.bmp

better using Jpeg format when posting pictures
just getting into this myself but not had a chance to do any video yet due to clouds
but I played with registax, best I can recommend is to make a copy of your work then play with the wavelets

and see what works best as I found each image required different settings than the last

Hmmm.  The colour one is a bit tough to do much with.  You don't need too much sharpening before artefacts start to show up.  I suspect that may be down to lack of sensitivity.  You can see them starting to show up as a checkerboad pattern here:

post-10871-0-76982500-1391191516.png

James

Here's the SPC900 image.  Again it's not sharpened as much as I usually would, but this time because the sharpening starts to bring out the noise.  How many frames did you capture and stack for this one?

post-10871-0-04456900-1391191923.png

James

Here's the SPC900 image.  Again it's not sharpened as much as I usually would, but this time because the sharpening starts to bring out the noise.  How many frames did you capture and stack for this one?

attachicon.gifpost-22098-0-22877900-1391190242.png

James

Thank you James, this one was 1000 frames over 90 seconds. I have since bought a bathimov mast to see if the focus can be improved, I will have to wait for the rain to stop. I can't remember the camera settings at the time so I should probably record them next time. I wonder if the settings could be improved? 

Thank you James, this one was 1000 frames over 90 seconds. I have since bought a bathimov mast to see if the focus can be improved, I will have to wait for the rain to stop. I can't remember the camera settings at the time so I should probably record them next time. I wonder if the settings could be improved? 

1000 frames would be a good start.  I reckon you could go twice as long for double the number of frames though.

Focus on planets is tough.  Mostly it's down to practice and getting used to what you see, especially when the seeing is less than perfect.  A motorised focuser is a massive help.

If you're using SharpCap or FireCapture for the SPC900 capture both will save the settings in a file for you.  It's always worth making sure that's on.  You never know when it might be useful to refer to later.

James

Okay James I will try 2000 frames :)

Actually I have just finished making a usb operated motorized focuser which is working well, indoors that is. It uses a 7.5degree stepper with a 100:1 gear reducer in half steps so should give fine resolution.

And yes I imagine practice helps big time!

post-22098-0-50961200-1391197260_thumb.j

post-22098-0-38990700-1391197269_thumb.j

So heres tonight's attempt. Better focus (I think) and 6000 frames.

A big improvement I think :)

Camera settings this time.

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]
Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=60.00
Colour Space / Compression=I420
Exposure=-4
Brightness=94
Contrast=38
Saturation=-1
Gamma=0