Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do You Remember The First Time?

"I can't remember a worse time" is the next line of that song. Not really appropriate...

I just got back in from my first light session with the new telescope - a Skyliner 150P. I have finally joined the "Dob Mob." Ever since I first became seriously interested in astronomy I've wanted a 6'' dob and this year I made it happen. It's light enough to carry around the flat, but I did break it into its constituent parts to take it outside. I don't have a trolley for it yet, so was restricted to the gravel outside the flat, or more precisely the pavement just beyond the gate.

First light with the ST80 was on Jupiter so it only seemed right that it should be the same for the 150P. Unfortunately I hadn't got round to adjusting the finderscope so had a job locating Jupiter with the longer focal length. And it was cloudy to start off with (They rolled in during the five minutes it took me to get the telescope outside). Once the cloud cleared I tried to line up but kept finding this non-descript yellow star. There were lots of other exiting things up there, but none of them were Jupiter... Eventually I figured out which star it was in the main scope I was looking at compared with the finder and made the necessary adjustments. Then I lined up on Jupiter and bang. It was like getting excited about space all over again - at 120x (I could only dream of that sort of magnification on the ST80) I could make out far more of the cloud belts than I had before. Then I figured, why not, and stuck the barlow in for good measure. It was pretty shaky, but very Wow, with considerable detail visible, even if the seeing was somewhat iffy. I discovered that nudging the telescope was going to require a bit of practise, but otherwise I am extremely pleased with my purchase. Roll on the next clear skies! Whenever they're next around...

DD

Yo, that's an excellent scope, just ideal for planets and very easy on collimation and eyepieces. I couldn't find a thing with my finderscope . A red dot finder or a Telrad is easier and will open up the Universe

http://www.atmob.org/library/member/skymaps_jsmall.html

Hope we get some clear skies soon, we had the mighty big vanishing snow flakes today,

Clear skies,

Nick.

Ah, do I remember the first time.

Yes, it was in the back of a Morris Minor Clubman - damn, mind wandered then.

My first time seeing with a scope was through a Garton Optical 6" Newt. It was made in 1958. For this period of time it was an expensive scope, not mine I might add. The views were not as crisp by today's standards, but back in the late 50s early 60s, it was the the dogs doo dahs.

Chris

Yeah - I'm going to find myself a trolley today or tomorrow. There are a couple of tackle shops in the area which should have them, otherwise I'll have to resort to the good old internet. I may get a telrad for the scope - I used an RDF and didn't get along with it, but the telrad might be more user friendly.

Should be able to get down to the park this weekend, if the forecasts are to be believed. Looking forward to pointing this thing at a few DSOs!

DD

Jupiter was my first light with the new dob only a week ago and it certainly is a cracking view, much much much better in the dob than I remember with the tasco refractor I had as a kid! Although to be fair I was lucky if I could make out features in next doors garden with that. I've got a feeling Jupiter will become a regular sight once these blasted clouds roll away...

Congrats on a nice scope! Very nice jump in aperture as well, you'll enjoy it for sure. My first light through my first scope (Heritage 130P) was the moon through some gaps in the clouds. Enough the make my jaw drop to the ground. Wasn't that long ago, June 1, 2012.

Archived