Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop Elements 12

hobsey

I was just wondering if anyone is using Photoshop Elements 12 for their finishing of astrophotography/video imaging?

If so, is it any good? Or am I better off buy a Photoshop CS version?

Just asking as Costco have it in their latest special offer booklet.

Many thanks.

Yes I bought it recently as a package deal together with Premiere Elements, but not specifically for processing astro images. Maybe it's me, but I found it doesn't want to load 32-bit TIFFs (i.e., the output from DSS). I don't have a lot of memory on my machine so I thought that was the problem, however I loaded up my old copy of CS4 and that was able to load the TIFFs.

ChrisH

I use Elements 10. I have no problems uploading 32 bit TIFF files. Be aware that some functions don't work in 32 bit depth and you have to down convert (and potentially lose information) to process. There are a few free downloadable Plugins available which somehow bypass the deliberately knobbled 32 bit functions allowing you to do some of the essential post processing whilst still in 32 bit mode. For instance I found a 32 bit CURVES pluggin for Elements and also a HISTOGRAM tool. You can also get Noel's Actions astronomy plugin (restricted to 8 bit) and Asta La Vista Green (32 bit) for Elements. Both of which I recommend.

Archived