NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion optics Europa

I mean against any reflector I have ever had, which would be 1 Helios/SW 8" f5 (I think it was f5, it was a while ago), 1 Celestron C10-N, 1 OO 10" f4.8 and my present SW 10" f4.7.

Thats interesting. I've not had the chance to compare my 12" OO to any other 12" newtonain / dob to see that difference for myself.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a second hand 8" F6 Europa for a couple of years and have loved the scope. It's a lovely balance between size, wieght and performance. I have upgraded the focuser to a revelation 2" 10:1 crayford and the finder to an illuminated 50mm RACI. The scope has always given fantastic views and is much admired at outreach events with the view compared favorably with those given by some very tasty refractors at the same events.

The 1200 mm tube length fits nicely accross the boot om my car leaving plenty of room for the rest of my kit. The F6 focal ratio means that the scope is quite forgiving on the lens front so you don't need to spend a fortune there. The scope in its present configuration weighs in at about 8Kg with a baader zoom lens fitted and my original EQ5 mount carried it acceptably. My present NEQ6 seems to barely notice that it has anything onboard.

It keeps it collimation well and I will have to think long and hard before I let it go.

I have just purchased a VX10 with ultra grade optics and Hilux coatings second hand and have only had a very brief first light with it last weekend due to the dreadful weather we have had recently. I have to say that my initial impressions are that the VX10 gives a much brighter image but I didn't have time to mount the Europa to do a side by side comparison.

I could immedeatly see that I'm going to have to spend a lot more on lenses in the future!

In short I can heartily recommend the Europa 8" F6.

There's an 8" f 8 mirror set here if you fancy a project.  http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=77595   :smiley:

I saw that - it looks a good deal. As a person with a 3 scope agreement with my other half and 4 large scopes present in the dining room, I think the thin ice I'm currently skating on would not stand the load another scope project would bring :undecided:  

What is even more interesting is that the seller is also selling this: 

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=77588

I believe the Zambuto mirrors make even the better Orion Optics ones look a bit rough !

I saw that - it looks a good deal. As a person with a 3 scope agreement with my other half and 4 large scopes present in the dining room, I think the thin ice I'm currently skating on would not stand the load another scope project would bring :undecided:  

I believe the Zambuto mirrors make even the better Orion Optics ones look a bit rough !

The Zambuto looks interesting, very popular across the pond apparently. Not had the pleasure of looking through one unfortunately.  :smiley:

If I hadn't just brought the VX10 I'd probably have gone for this but like you my other half keeps a weather eye on the number of scopes on the premises and I have to operate a one in one out policy now. The VX10 is replacing an old TAL 2M - a fair trade in my book

I take the claims about the extra reflectivity of Hilux coating with a pinch of salt to be honest but it's the longevity of the coatings that appeals to me.

You buy Orion Optics scopes for the optics. The mechanicals of the ones I've owned have been OK but nothing special. Their OC-1 focuser is quite poor.

Also buy used - OO used values depreciate considerably from the new prices.

What is it that is poor about the focuser? I want to upgrade mine and that's the most likely candidate.

I have the 8" f6 too and have been very happy with it, on dob at the moment but I also have EQ5 with GOTO to use at a later date. Had little to spend at the time so just have standard mirror coatings but still get amazingly sharp images. When these have worn some more (or when I can convince myself) I'll have them upgraded to hilux.

What is it that is poor about the focuser? I want to upgrade mine and that's the most likely candidate.

It looks great - rather like a Moonlight but no matter how much I tweaked and adjusted it I could not get a smooth motion that would hold a decent weight 2" eyepiece. It was either smooth but too loose or rather tight.

It's usable but it promises much more from it's looks than it seems to deliver. The simple chinese single speed crayford on my 12" OO is much better.

Archived