NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder positions on SCT OTA ?

Hi all. I have just got an 8" SCT OTA to use instead of my 6" reflector.  The SCT OTA is now on the equatorial drive mount, on my fixed pillar in my observatory,   No GoTo.

I had forgotten that the eyepiece on a reflector is at the front, and on an SCT its at the back !  So the SCT is now about 2 feet too low.  I can't raise the pillar height or lower my observatory floor, so will leave it where it is.  Most observing will be done sitting down.

I don't know where to fix finders on the OTA - Which angle from each other ?  Front or back of the OTA ? 

I have a variety of finders I could use : Straight through optical, Optical with diagonal prism & Red dot. 

The main difficulty will be Finding high up near the zenith.  I would rather not have to lie on the floor for this !

Any thoughts would be appreciated.   Best wishes.  Fizzy near York UK

When i went form a Reflector to a SCT on my Pier i had to make the pier higher or sit on the floor, so i made the pier higher i would recommend you do the same getting down to ground level to look through a EP isn't a very enjoyable way to view DSO's...picture of your pier and there will be 20 different replies on how to make it higher........ :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

4 Replies - Brilliant . Thanks.  A Telrad is a good idea.  I have today fitted a Right Angle optical finder, and a straight through optical finder X8 mag'.  I might add a red dot or a Telrad as well !  Raising the pillar is not an option, as I have a rolling roof.  I can't lower the floor either.  

4 Replies - Brilliant . Thanks.  A Telrad is a good idea.  I have today fitted a Right Angle optical finder, and a straight through optical finder X8 mag'.  I might add a red dot or a Telrad as well !  Raising the pillar is not an option, as I have a rolling roof.  I can't lower the floor either.  

Do you have a picture of your set-up.......

Archived