NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 250px cooling fan

I'm in the middle of fitting one to my 16" dob Paul. After a bit of research I decided on the Noctua brand and I got this model: NF-S12A ULN (ultra low noise). For a smaller dob you would want a slightly different size and rating, but they have plenty in the range to choose from.

Below I've included a very interesting link about the theory of dob fans and the website I used that gave me good service and quick turn around.

http://www.quietpc.com/noctuafans

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/bgreer/fanselect.htm

Hope that helps :)

This is my old Baffle, I have not taken a pic of the new one yet but they are both made from foam bedding mat a lot lighter than the plastic ones.  I covered mine in flocking, not really needed but I go flocking mad, anyone here will tell you.

fan_baff1.jpg

I'm in the middle of fitting one to my 16" dob Paul. After a bit of research I decided on the Noctua brand and I got this model: NF-S12A ULN (ultra low noise). For a smaller dob you would want a slightly different size and rating, but they have plenty in the range to choose from.

Below I've included a very interesting link about the theory of dob fans and the website I used that gave me good service and quick turn around.

http://www.quietpc.com/noctuafans

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/bgreer/fanselect.htm

Hope that helps :)

Great links! I'm likely to add a fan to my dob as well. Might add that the Noctua fans are very nice indeed. Got a few of them in my latest PC build and I'm more than happy with them.

Interesting read. The argument for fitting one seems quite compelling, even on a 10 inch pyrex more that I ever thought. Reading a bit further found some interesting reads that I now lost in my history, but suggested a heatsink is  not a bad idea, and another blog posting that even the one fan rear config can't keep up very well.  I saw some pretty hefty configurations with multiple fans mounted on the side as well, rear and a heat sink, only with that was the mirror able to keep up, don't think the aperture was that large either. Still a simple rear mounted fan would presumably go a long way towards an noticeable improvement and would be easy to do.

Seeing I got boxes of fans kicking around and even some heatsinks it could be some interesting DYI to think about. :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Mind you...I installed the mod (as shown above) and it worked perfectly.

I did find that when you cool down the scope it is better to turn the fan off after

an hour or so..

At first I left the fan on whilst stargazing and found that my mirrors started to dew up.

I thought this was because the fan didn't work properly.

But what actually happened was that cool moist air was sucked away from the grass, dewing

up my mirrors.

So now I switch it off after a while, and I don't have that problem anylonger.

I did find that when you cool down the scope it is better to turn the fan off after

an hour or so..

At first I left the fan on whilst stargazing and found that my mirrors started to dew up.

But what actually happened was that cool moist air was sucked away from the grass, dewing

up my mirrors.

I find that sometimes just for a few minutes that turning on the fan while viewing can get rid of tube currents then turn off again.

an hour or so..

up my mirrors.

Are you sucking or blowing ?

I might try sucking, so as to pull the heat away from the mirror rather than blowing cold air towards it ?

Archived