Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranus

ve1drg

I have been trying to view Uranus and not sure if I have seen it or not.  I am using my Esprit 120 Skywatcher scope and using it at about 100 power.  I can go to about 300 power but so far wanted to stay a little lower until I was sure I had it. I am also using the Skywatcher AZ EQ6 mount.

I have studied the various charts and software programs to make sure I am in the right area of where Uranus is supposed to be.  And I may have been there but was still left with doubht.  I had another observer check out what I was looking at (at 100 power)  and he claims that I was seeing Uranus.  But I was seeing no color.  I was expecting a blue or green color but it was grey like all the stars around it.

I am going to give this another go soon but thought I would ask your thoughts about any tricks the might help make finding easier.  I use my mount to get me to a star real close by and than reset the mount to make sure I have all things going well.  And than I enter Uranus and it moves slightly to where I think Uranus is.  But it sure doesn't look like it. 

Should I be disappointed?   Or maybe go to the hight power (only)  and see if there is a difference?

Hi Ted,

I found that when I viewed Uranus for the first time, that there was a definite blue/green hue, and at higher magnifications, it resolved into a disc rather than a pin point that the surrounding stars were.

If Uranus was low to the horizon, then I think that the colour could have been subject to some scattering due to the atmosphere? I'm not certain on that!

Maybe try a higher magnification (I went to 240x, which definitely showed a disc)

• 2 weeks later...

When I found Uranus for the first time long ago I used binoculars. It is much easier since it is only around 5.8m or so. I drew a map and saw it as a greenish star. My next project will be Neptune, more difficult at 8.0 In binoculars you don't see as many stars as in a telescope so it is easier to recognize which "star" is Uranus or Neptune. Unfortunately Neptune sets early at this time. Please post your progress when you see more of these planets.

Try upping the mag a bit. You should be able to resolve a bit of a disc at 100x. At x150 you will be 100% sure.

If you have a disc, then colour or no colour, you have Uranus.

I get a faint blueish tinge. Nothing startling on the colour front.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Archived