Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount suggestions.

I'm looking to buy equatorial mount but I'm finding the market very confusing with all the different model numbers and Goto versions etc.  I'm after something with a polar alignment scope could either be motorised for imaging or perhaps easily upgradable but I don't want pay the extra for Goto. I'd want something that I could mount a variety of different scope on, if I ever decide to upgrade. I haven't chosen a scope yet but was thinking of an SCT type. Are there mounts that can me used for long exposures that aren't Goto equipped? Budget is 400 or their about.

The only thing I'm aware of, I could be wrong, in terms of a motorized mount but no goto is to buy a mount with nothing on it (no motors/goto) then buy the motor kit.  All Goto really is the hand controller with the data base in it. You can get the motors with just the "simple" hand controller that doesnt have the data base of objects. But I'm not sure how cost effective this is. By the time you buy the motors it really isnt that much more to buy the Goto hand controller. Especially if you are buying second hand.

An example would be buying the EQ5. But If you are wanting to get into imaging you are going to want a good solid mount, especially with a SCT, and I'm not aware of any that don't have goto. Well the really high end ones don't but thats not your cup of tea :). But if you're wanting to get into AP a SCT isn't really the best scope to start with. There are plenty of threads lately that have suggested plenty of what you should start with. For visually they can be great. But for purely visual the most cost effective telescope is the Dob. You can get the most aperture for your money.

HI,

got a couple of questions really about the list of requirements. Usually an eq mount is set up for imaging, and each one has set limits on weight. that weight has to include the scope, any cameras, guide scopes etc. Also what are your preferences for imaging (as one of the main reasons for having an EQ mount in the first places). planetary and DSO have different requirements in terms of cameras (and therefore weight). 

Scopes preference is also another factor, and each has benefits when imaging planets or DSO. Might be good before purchasing anything to get along to a local society to look through and see the types of scopes etc. if you really want to investigate imaging then I would recommend Steve Richards book "making Every Photon Count" if will give you a view of the equipment that is best suited to that role.

Think the budget of £400 might be a bit light for a new EQ, but you may find second hand mounts up the UK Astro Buy and Sell site.

Don't mean to put a dampener on it, but think it will benefit you (and your wallet) in the long run.

Regards

The only thing I'm aware of, I could be wrong, in terms of a motorized mount but no goto is to buy a mount with nothing on it (no motors/goto) then buy the motor kit.  All Goto really is the hand controller with the data base in it. You can get the motors with just the "simple" hand controller that doesnt have the data base of objects. But I'm not sure how cost effective this is. By the time you buy the motors it really isnt that much more to buy the Goto hand controller. Especially if you are buying second hand.

An example would be buying the EQ5. But If you are wanting to get into imaging you are going to want a good solid mount, especially with a SCT, and I'm not aware of any that don't have goto. Well the really high end ones don't but thats not your cup of tea :). But if you're wanting to get into AP a SCT isn't really the best scope to start with. There are plenty of threads lately that have suggested plenty of what you should start with. For visually they can be great. But for purely visual the most cost effective telescope is the Dob. You can get the most aperture for your money.

Thanks for your response. Why isn't an SCT a good scope to start imaging with?  Is there an extra level of difficulty that SCTs have over other scopes for imaging?

Is an EQ5 not solid enough to use for imaging?

SCT tend to be about f10 which is fairly slow. Imagers tend to go for faster scopes, the tracking doesn't need to be as good because the light gets in quicker so shorter exposures.<br />

sorry rambling.<br />

SCT are good planetary scopes though.<br />

for faint fuzzies think short wide fast... With a DSLR. <br />

For planetary think long thin slow...with a webcam.<br />

and yes, the eq5 can image but its harder work and not as accurate as an heq5<br />

I think and HEQ5 is kind of seen as the minimum...though as previously noted it really does depend on what you put on top of it. I have a Gem EQ, and my TAL 100 can blow around in the wind and  even visual can be difficult.   I would  have a read of the book, but while you are waiting, head on over to the imaging section. whilst you are at it, also have a look at the what can I expect to see sticky in the  getting started in observing section.

this the heq without goto

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5.html

this one hasn't got the handcontroller but with the addition of a laptop and a planetarium suite and free software can use goto

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-syntrek.html

and this is the full heq5

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

Archived