NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are these the same telescopes?

So after deciding to get the "skywatcher skyliner 250PX dob" i ran into a slight barrier in that first optics might not be able to ship to dublin ireland and shipping costs could be expensive so i turned to an irish supplier and they do a very similar if not exactly the same dob as the one i mentioned so far. Its called the "Skywatch XT10 classic dobsonian" and it would probably be the cheaper spend as the shop is 5 miles from were i live and i can simply go and collect it, also easier to send back. i looked at all the specifications and they seem identical. The one thing i noticed was only one eye piece supplied, the sirius plossl 25mm piece and with the skywatch you get two eye pieces? What you guys think? Are they identical? Cheers guys.

I think you mean "Orion Skyquest XT10 Classic" http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT10-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/102006.uts?refineByCategoryId=13 . I don't think that they are exactly the same, they may share the same mirror set though because some of Orion's telescopes are made by Synta who make the telescopes sold under the Skywatcher and Celestron brands.

apologies yes its the orion skyquest. i just noticed also they have different finder scopes, skywatch have the 9x50 finder and the orion have the EZ finder 2. 

I think you mean "Orion Skyquest XT10 Classic" http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT10-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/102006.uts?refineByCategoryId=13 . I don't think that they are exactly the same, they may share the same mirror set though because some of Orion's telescopes are made by Synta who make the telescopes sold under the Skywatcher and Celestron brands.

The Orion (USA) Dobsonians share the same source of optics as the Skywatcher but do have differences in the mount design. The Orions are usually a little more expensive but do have the advantage of upgrading to the "Intelliscope" push to system of goto which I find works very well. 

The Orion (USA) Dobsonians share the same source of optics as the Skywatcher but do have differences in the mount design. The Orions are usually a little more expensive but do have the advantage of upgrading to the "Intelliscope" push to system of goto which I find works very well. 

Well at the moment the orion is working out cheaper than the skywatcher, by about 30 euro mainly due to the shipping costs, although the skywatcher offers two free eye pieces and the orion just the one. Hmmmmmm pickle ha.

The 9x50 finder magnifies whereas the EZ Finder doesn't - it relies on a red dot. So it really depends what you're most comfy with or what you like. I don't think you can really decide that till you've used them both. Some folks reject straight through finders in favour of a right angled one - whilst others much prefer a straight through one.

So it's hard to advise other than to state my preference for "right angled" in the magnified finders for Sct's, Maks, and refractors - but I also like reflex finders on dobs, mixed with a raci. :)

(I wouldn't worry about supplied eyepieces - they're enough to get you going and you're bound to want to upgrade them eventually)

The 9x50 finder magnifies whereas the EZ Finder doesn't - it relies on a red dot. So it really depends what you're most comfy with or what you like. I don't think you can really decide that till you've used them both. Some folks reject straight through finders in favour of a right angled one - whilst others much prefer a straight through one.

So it's hard to advise other than to state my preference for "right angled" in the magnified finders for Sct's, Maks, and refractors - but I also like reflex finders on dobs, mixed with a raci. :)

(I wouldn't worry about supplied eyepieces - they're enough to get you going and you're bound to want to upgrade them eventually)

Oops sorry, i rang the guys there and they said i could head out friday and observe with them and try out few scopes if its a good night.

I would not worry about the extra eyepiece too much as a deciding factor, the stock ones that come with the skywatcher scopes are cheap enough, the price difference you mention will allow you to purchase a 10mm easily of similar or better quality anyway. :smiley:

Good luck with it :smiley: . Personally I prefer a red dot over a finder scope starting out if I had to pick, but that is just me. In the long run you'll may find that you end up with both fitted on the scope anyway, they have strengths for different things in different situations IMO. I Use both a rigel quick finder which uses rings instead of a red dot( but either type will do)  and the finder scope in combination a lot of the time. 

Archived