Differents in televue range

Russko13

Looking at the tv lines I'm getting myself a bit confused I understand the plossls are the cheapest option and ethos seem to be the most expensive but what major differences are there between the Delos, radian, panoptic and naglers I only ask because Id like to purchase 1 or 2 for deep sky observing with my f5 120mm frac and don't want to make the wrong choice

Looking at the tv lines I'm getting myself a bit confused I understand the plossls are the cheapest option and ethos seem to be the most expensive but what major differences are there between the Delos, radian, panoptic and naglers I only ask because Id like to purchase 1 or 2 for deep sky observing with my f5 120mm frac and don't want to make the wrong Choice

I think it´s mostly FOV.

A quick look at the specifications reveals:

Narrow FoV = Plossls / 50-degrees

Wide FoV = Panoptics 68-degrees (up to 19mm)

Wide FoV = Delos are 72-degrees (from 17.3mm)

Extra wide FoV = Ethos 100-110-degrees

I think the 82-degree Naglers and 60-degree Radians are older designs being sold off, for as long as people are happy to buy them.

A quick look at the specifications reveals:

Narrow FoV = Plossls / 50-degrees

Wide FoV = Panoptics 68-degrees (up to 19mm)

Wide FoV = Delos are 72-degrees (from 17.3mm)

Extra wide FoV = Ethos 100-110-degrees

I think the 82-degree Naglers and 60-degree Radians are older designs being sold off, for as long as people are happy to buy them.

The Nagler Type 4 and Type 5's are still very much current Tele Vue ranges and offer 82 degree apparent field of view and are therefore in what many call the Ultra Wide category. I think Hyper wide describes the Ethos range :smiley:

The 60 degree Radians have now been discontinued apart from the 3mm I think. Excellent buys on the used market though.

The Nagler Type 4 and Type 5's are still very much current Tele Vue ranges and offer 82 degree apparent field of view and are therefore in what many call the Ultra Wide category. I think Hyper wide describes the Ethos range :smiley:

The 60 degree Radians have now been discontinued apart from the 3mm I think. Excellent buys on the used market though.

Type 6 too, same afov, 12mm eye relief. Very nice eps.

Stu

My mistake.

It's good to know that the Naglers are still available as current stock (I need to save up) 

My sights were set on the 6mm Delos to give 200x magnification, and avoid using the Barlow at the upper limits of normal seeing conditions.

But I think the 13mm Nagler will fit very nicely between the 16mm MaxVision, and the 11mm Explore Scientific (160x / 195x / 230x = 35x difference)

Now all I need are the funds.

Type 6 too, same afov, 12mm eye relief. Very nice eps.

Stu

How could I forget the T6's - I used to own a set !  :rolleyes2:

I guess we ought to mention the two Nagler zooms as well. I don't know if the 8-24mm TV zoom is still a current product though ?

How could I forget the T6's - I used to own a set !  :rolleyes2:

I guess we ought to mention the two Nagler zooms as well. I don't know if the 8-24mm TV zoom is still a current product though ?

Yes, the Nagler Zoooms are really in their own category though. I don't think the 8-24mm TV zoom had good reviews - compared to other TV products that is.

Yes, the Nagler Zoooms are really in their own category though. I don't think the 8-24mm TV zoom had good reviews - compared to other TV products that is.

I think it's a re-badged product of some sort, not a genuine TV design as far as I know

Stu

I think it's a re-badged product of some sort, not a genuine TV design as far as I know

Stu

I believe it's made by Vixen and is essentially the same as the Vixen LV 8-24 zoom. For what it's worth I believe that Vixen also manufacture the Nagler 3-6mm and 2-4mm zooms although those are exclusive to Tele Vue in terms of marketing.

I believe it's made by Vixen and is essentially the same as the Vixen LV 8-24 zoom. For what it's worth I believe that Vixen also manufacture the Nagler 3-6mm and 2-4mm zooms although those are exclusive to Tele Vue in terms of marketing.

Interesting. It's strange that it has a very different reputation to the 3 to 6, not sure why if all made by Vixen who make very good eps?

Stu

The 8-24mm is a very different beast, with a 3x zoom ratio compared to 2x on the Naglers. it is much easier to control aberrations in the latter. I gather the Vixen LV zoom was one of the better zoom EPs in its time, but later the Hyperion zoom and some others caught up and overtook it.

My mistake.

It's good to know that the Naglers are still available as current stock (I need to save up) 

My sights were set on the 6mm Delos to give 200x magnification, and avoid using the Barlow at the upper limits of normal seeing conditions.

But I think the 13mm Nagler will fit very nicely between the 16mm MaxVision, and the 11mm Explore Scientific (160x / 195x / 230x = 35x difference)

Now all I need are the funds.

There was a rare TV radian 6mm floating on astro buy and sell since yesterday, typical, I can't afford it this month :( , probably it has already gone but you could check there or once in a while. No doubt it would make an excellent planetary ep in your scope, for around £ 90 - 120 they tend to go typically these days, a lot cheaper than a 6mm delos new if you are on a budget.

Archived