Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with observing

Hi all,

My new telescope got delivered today, I was so excited but I'm also gutted as the skies here are full of clouds!

I have a Celestron Astromaster 70az refractor with a 10mm eyepiece and a 20mm eyepiece. My questions are:

1. Which eyepiece do I use to view which objects?

2. How do I clean the objective lens? (The cloth I got with the scope leaves dust and fluff on the glass)

And

3. Is my telescope powerful enough to see galaxies?

As you can probably tell I'm a complete beginner so all advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

start with the highest mm eyepiece for locating targets. The higher the mm the wider the field of view (less magnification).

Once centred switch to progressively higher magnification (lower mm) as required to suit the target.

Generally you don't and won't need to do that, cleaning comes with a risk. If really necessary, well people might give different advice, I use some glasses optical cleaner and a clean microfibre cloth, as I would for camera lenses.

It should be for some. Have a start at M31 Andromeda and see how you get on. Also try M42 Orion's nebula, not a galaxy but a great sight all the same

Good luck!

Thank you very much LouisJB!

I took the objective lens' out and was extremely worried about dropping it! Luckily I didn't, I put it back in, hopefully the right way, so I'll leave it alone now. Thank you again, fingers crossed for clear skies soon

A 70mm refractor will show loads of objects if used with patience.

I'd start with bright objects, moon and Jupiter will give you a great view, gradually work your way towards dimmer objects like star clusters.

Brighter galaxies can be seen from town with a 70mm refractor,  M31, M81/82 together in the same low power view, M94 is surprisingly bright.

For the dimmer objects, wait for a clear night when the moon is not up. If you can get out of town, that's great.

Good luck, Ed.

Thank you for your reply Ed, it's much appreciated!

Scarp15, I do intend to buy a copy of Turn Left at Orion once I have the money, it's been recommended to me by many people so I'm very much looking forward to buying it

Archived