Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounting DSLR on Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT

jgould

I have had the Nexstar 130 SLT for about 2 years. It is my first telescope and I am pleased with it. Recently, I decided to try to hook up a DSLR to it to try to image some objects. I am finding that if I mount the camera using just the T-ring/adapter, that I don't actually see anything in the night sky, it just kinda looks like it's looking through the lens opening without a lens (all I see is the mirror through the camera), but if I add a 2x barlow lens to the mix, I can actually see objects, but I can't get any more magnification out of the set up. 

Any thoughts/advice on how to get more usable magnification?

Be aware too that to reach prime focus without using a barlow and the like you might have to move the primary mirror forward. You then cannot use eyepieces with it like that but i just move the mirror back to it's original position if i plan on just viewing that evening so it's not that big of a deal really.

Thanks for the quick responses... I'm going to do some viewing tonight (in Houston, it's been cloudy lately)... The video definitely helped... still not completely sure how to get better magnification out of everything, but I'll figure it out, or cry trying... haha

• 1 year later...

I have had the Nexstar 130 SLT for about 2 years. It is my first telescope and I am pleased with it. Recently, I decided to try to hook up a DSLR to it to try to image some objects. I am finding that if I mount the camera using just the T-ring/adapter, that I don't actually see anything in the night sky, it just kinda looks like it's looking through the lens opening without a lens (all I see is the mirror through the camera), but if I add a 2x barlow lens to the mix, I can actually see objects, but I can't get any more magnification out of the set up. 

Any thoughts/advice on how to get more usable magnification?

I am doing the same thing with my 130 SLT but can't seem to get the adapter onto the camera! I have a Canon Powershot SX30 IS but the Canon adopter doesn't seem to fit..I am wondering if this adapter isn't meant for this body? What kind of camera do you have,I feel like I might need to upgrade..

I am doing the same thing with my 130 SLT but can't seem to get the adapter onto the camera! I have a Canon Powershot SX30 IS but the Canon adopter doesn't seem to fit..I am wondering if this adapter isn't meant for this body? What kind of camera do you have,I feel like I might need to upgrade..

The Powershot is a bridge camera that has a fixed lens. The t adapter mentioned is for Canon Eos SLR/DSLR bodies. For your kind of camera you will need a digi-scoping adapter to connect the camera lens to a telescope eyepiece (afocal imaging)

Archived