Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Real time views on LCD scree?

Hi All,

My Boy's teacher has expressed an interest in me showing his reception class a bit about astronomy. I don't know much but they are only 4/5 years old so I should muddle through.

Is it possible to link up real time views through the EP to a laptop screen or telly 'cheaply'? I don't want little kids mullering £2k worth of gear and tiny fingerprints and bogeys on my fancy eye pieces. if not I'll stick to showing my own two.

I'm guessing it will be expensive but thought I would ask the question.

My set up is in my sig (ALT-AZ mount)

Cheers,

Andy

Missed out the 'n' in 'screen'. oops/

Although a newbie how about a webcam connected to a laptop using one of the camera holders?

I'm thinking of doing the same (for my own use though) so interested if there is a better way to do this.

Cheers,

Terry.

I don´t think standard webcams are really suited for this. They are not sensitive enough and will just show a bunch of dark snow.

Sure you will get some blurred view of really Bright Objects like the moon, Jupiter and Saturn.

But if you want to "broadcast" decent quality views from Your Scope I am afraid you will end up having to use those dedicated astro cameras for that in the 2-400 bucks range (I forgot the brand and type they use for broadcasting).  :(

They are not that super expensive tho, compared to dedicated cooled CCD cameras for long expose deepsky. ;)

I don´t think standard webcams are really suited for this. They are not sensitive enough and will just show a bunch of dark snow.

Sure you will get some blurred view of really Bright Objects like the moon, Jupiter and Saturn.

But if you want to "broadcast" decent quality views from Your Scope I am afraid you will end up having to use those dedicated astro cameras for that in the 2-400 bucks range (I forgot the brand and type they use for broadcasting).  :(

They are not that super expensive tho, compared to dedicated cooled CCD cameras for long expose deepsky. ;)

Ouch!  :eek:

Anyone have any cheap cheap eye pieces for sale???  :grin:

I have a Minitron camera which is fantastic for showing real time video of DSOs to folks, mines B&W but they do a colour version , it does look better on an old BW CRT portable than an LCD screen though.

Dave

I have a Minitron camera which is fantastic for showing real time video of DSOs to folks, mines B&W but they do a colour version , it does look better on an old BW CRT portable than an LCD screen though.

Dave

Thanks for the tip

What we talking money wise Dave to get set up?

I use the MS Lifecam with lots of success on planets and the moon, think it was about £40 or some such. What were you wanting to show them? Would it be at night if they are 4/5?

Would be fine for showing kids pictures of stuff, esp the moon. I use it to show my little lad the moon, he has trouble getting his eye in the right place with an eyepiece. Plug it in and let him slew the scope around slowly on a game pad.

Cheers all, after trawling through all the info you said It's been shelved due to school policies. They want me to show equipment during school hours which seems a bit pointless if we cant look at the stars!

Thanks for the info none the less, i think i'll end up buying something  :smiley:

Archived